1. What rate plans are available for eSIM?
Any in-market TELUS Mobility rate plan (prepaid or postpaid) is available on eSIM.
2. Do I need an active physical SIM in my device to activate an eSIM?
Compatible Android smartphone: No, a customer can activate a device using an eSIM voucher on compatible Android devices on Android 10 and newer.
Compatible iOS smartphone:
At this time, only iPhone 14 and 14 Pro models purchased in the U.S. (i.e. eSIM only) do not require a physical SIM card to be activated first before you are able to activate your eSIM. Other compatible iOS smartphones require a physical SIM card to be activated first in order to provision the device warranty, after which you can switch to eSIM.
3. How do I know which line I’m using at any given time?
Each line is individually labelled to differentiate between numbers. These labels can be customized. These labels may vary depending on the operating system and the active carrier.
4. What happens when I receive a call on my secondary line while I am on a call on my primary line?
Both lines can be connected to the network at all times. While on a call using one line, the other line is on standby. If you receive a call on the other line while on a call using the first line, the incoming call will go to voicemail.
5. If both the lines have mobile data, which one can I use and which one will show on my bill?
Both lines can access mobile data but only one line can access mobile data at any given time to prevent duplicating charges. Your usage will reflect the line that you have selected to use as the default at any given time. The default line can be changed in your device settings.
6. I currently have two mobile lines at TELUS on two devices. Can I transfer one of my phone numbers to an eSIM so that I can have both the phone numbers on one device?
To move one of your phone numbers to an eSIM, purchase a voucher at a TELUS store and complete a SIM-swap using self-serve by calling *611 or in store.
7. How will I be billed for calls and text messages?
Calls and messages are billed according to the wireless plan associated with the line used at any given time. Overage rates may apply if you exceed your allotment of voice minutes or messages.
8. When travelling, can I use a foreign carrier’s eSIM on my TELUS phone?
Yes, if available, customers can use a foreign carrier’s eSIM plan when travelling to countries outside of Canada if the network is compatible with the device. When you return home, you can switch from your foreign carrier's eSIM to your local eSIM.
9. What happens if I roam abroad?
Roaming rates and services are billed according to your postpaid rate plan. View our support article on
how you will be charged while travelling
for more details on roaming.
10. Can I activate an eSIM from another carrier on my TELUS smartphone?
Yes, TELUS customers can activate an eSIM from another carrier on their TELUS eSIM-capable phone. The other carrier must support eSIM functionality on the device.
11. When I upgrade my device, how do I transfer the number associated with my eSIM to another phone?
Upon upgrading, request an eSIM voucher at a TELUS store and complete a SIM-swap using self-serve, by calling *611, or in store.
12. Can I delete my eSIM profile?
You can delete your eSIM profile by going to your phone’s network/cellular settings and locating the line (eSIM profile) you want to delete. When you delete your eSIM profile, you are not cancelling the line on the network so you will continue to be billed.
13. If I delete my eSIM profile from one phone, can I scan the eSIM voucher again into another phone?
No, once an eSIM profile is deleted from the phone, you cannot scan the same eSIM voucher into another phone. An eSIM voucher can only be used and scanned once. You must purchase an eSIM voucher at your nearest TELUS store and complete a SIM-swap using self-serve by calling *611 or in store.
: TELUS and its subsidiaries (“TELUS”) are not responsible for loss of carrier service as a result of an eSIM download wipe performed on any non-TELUS eSIM. If your phone’s eSIM line is currently active through a carrier other than TELUS, you are responsible for obtaining and activating a new eSIM card from the carrier. You are responsible for any charges that your carrier may apply for a replacement eSIM card.
14. Do I need a Wi-Fi network to activate my eSIM?
Yes, to activate an eSIM you will need a Wi-Fi or cellular connection.
If you have an eSIM-only iPhone 14 or iPhone 14 Pro model (ie. purchased in the U.S. only) and you don’t have a Wi-Fi network, Apple has a new solution to activate your eSIM. During the setup process, you can choose to continue without Wi-Fi. This allows you to setup your new eSIM without Wi-Fi, at no cost to you.