Optik TV self install
Information about your Optik self-install kit
Your self-install kit will arrive within 3-5 business days of when you placed your order. You can track your order through Canada Post with the tracking number included in the order confirmation email (Subject: Confirmation of changes to your TELUS account), or the one sent by SMS to your account’s contact information.
To order more boxes, simplyand one of our representatives will be happy to assist you.
The self-installation process normally takes around 15 minutes per Optik TV box but may vary and take longer if updates are required.
As a reminder, upgrading your PVR (for example, from HD to 4K) will result in the loss of recordings on your old PVR, so be sure to watch all of your old PVR recordings before you install your new PVR.
What you need
Before self-installing Optik TV equipment, you must first have TELUS Internet installed.
Your successful Optik TV setup includes:
- Connecting the PVR Drive to your internet modem with the cable provided
- Connecting the wireless digital box to your home Wi-Fi, and
- Connecting each wireless digital box directly to each of your TVs using the cable provided
For a PVR Drive (HD or 4K)
A PVR Drive unit is included with self-install kits to enable pausing and recording functionalities. The PVR Drive is to be connected to your TELUS Internet Modem, not your TV.
Once the PVR Drive starts initializing you can proceed to install your Optik TV Wireless Digital Box(es) for each of your TV sets.
For an Optik TV wireless digital box
To install your wireless digital box with a self-install kit, you need an available HDMI input on your TV.
If you do not have an HDMI input on your TV, you can use component audio and video cables instead (not included in the self-install kit). These can be purchased at electronic stores for approximately $15.
You can self-install a maximum of 2 digital boxes in your home, in addition to the PVR Drive.
You should already have a TELUS Internet modem already installed in your home, which may be one of the following models (see the sticker on the device):
- TELUS Wi-Fi Hub (Arcadyan TWH)
- TELUS Advanced Wi-Fi Modem (Actiontec T3200M)
Download the self-install guide PDF
If you would like another copy of the self-install guide, you can choose one of the four versions below based on the kit you received.
If you are receiving an error message or experiencing issues during your self installation, here are a few things you can try:
- Since you must have TELUS Internet installed in order to install the Optik TV, make sure the connections on the TELUS gateway are secure.
- Confirm power to the devices
- Unplug and plug back the ethernet cable between the gateway and the optical network box (you should hear a click)
- If you are having trouble connecting your TELUS gateway, visit this
- The LINK light being off on an Optik TV PVR Drive indicates there is no connection between your box and the TELUS gateway. Please check the cabling to ensure the box is properly connected:
- Confirm power to the device
- Unplug and plug back in the Ethernet cable on the back of the PVR Drive (you should hear a click)
- Swap out the Ethernet cable for another cable if available
- Reboot your digital box by holding down the power button for 10 seconds, then try repeating the instructions
- When wirelessly pairing a digital box to a TELUS WiFi Hub, T3200M, or wireless access point, confirm that you have held the pairing button on the access point or modem for at least 10 seconds (then let go)
- Confirm that the Optik TV Wireless Digital Box is connected to the back of your TV using the HDMI cable provided and that you have selected the corresponding HDMI input on your TV using your TV manufacturer’s remote. You should have at least 4 bars appearing in the green Wi-Fi indicator light on the front of the wireless digital box after set-up. If you do not have a sufficient connection, try moving the box closer to your TELUS Internet modem
- If you are prompted to enter an activation code during set-up (not normally required), you can find this code at the top of your order confirmation email (subject line: Confirmation of changes to your TELUS account)
- If you would like to pair your Optik TV remote with your TV to control power and volume, please visit
- If you have a wireless access point either in your kit or at home, confirm it is connected to the TELUS Internet modem using an Ethernet cable. It should also be connected to power, and the switch on the back should be in the AP position
For additional support including online chat, please visit.