TELUS Home Assistant on Amazon Alexa for Optik TV
Voice control your Optik TV with Amazon Alexa
What is TELUS Home Assistant?
TELUS Home Assistant Skill on Amazon Alexa gives you hands-free voice control of your Optik TV, so you can manage your entertainment experience with your voice. Don’t have Optik TV?and sign up today.
Watch this video to learn more about TELUS Home Assistant for Amazon and Optik TV.
We invite you to share feedback and get additional support on our community forum,.
Any Amazon Alexa enabled device, including:
- Amazon Echo Studio (new)
- Amazon Echo Show 10 (new)
- Amazon Echo Show 8 (new)
- Amazon Echo Show 5
- Amazon Echo (all generations)
- Amazon Echo dot (all generations)
- Third party speakers integrated with Amazon Alexa (e.g. Sonos and Portal)
Don’t have an Alexa device? Find out if your phone or tablet can be enabled with the Amazon Alexa by visiting.
Once your Alexa device is set up, follow these steps to link it to TELUS Home Assistant and start using voice to control your Optik TV.
Need help setting up your Amazon device? Visit thepage.
- Download the Amazon Alexa app on your compatible mobile device and on a compatible web browser. Sign up in case you don't have an account
- Open the hamburger menu (shown below) located at the bottom right corner on your home screen
- Go to Skills and games
- Tap the magnifying glass icon and search for "TELUS Home Assistant"
- Select the search result that says TELUS Home Assistant “Alexa Pause”, and click on Enable to use
- You will be directed to the My TELUS login page. Log in using your My TELUS username and password, and select Allow. Don't have a My TELUS account?
- Go to your Optik TV and browse to the System information in the settings menu
- Locate the Client ID at the bottom of the page
- Choose the Amazon Alexa device you want to connect your digital box to and select Link devices
- After Alexa automatically searches for devices in your house, use the code on Channel 9098 to identify the Optik TV box on the Alexa app, and give your Optik TV box a nickname
- Choose the Optik TV serial number that matches the one found on Channel 9098 to connect
Pro-tip: Keep your Optik TV box nickname short and simple. This is how you will tell Amazon which digital box to command. For example, nickname one box "Living room TV" and another "Bedroom TV" and say, "Alexa, search for Stranger Things on Living room TV."
Commands for your Optik TV
Try the following voice commands:
Change channel by name or number:
- "Alexa, tune to CNN on <device nickname>"
- "Alexa, change to channel 101 on <device nickname>"
Search by title or actor:
- "Alexa, show me Westworld series on <device nickname>"
- "Alexa, show me Tom Cruise movies on <device nickname>"
Open apps, guide and recordings:
- "Alexa, open Netflix on <device nickname>"
- "Alexa, launch Youtube on <device nickname>"
- "Alexa, open Guide on <device nickname>"
- "Alexa, go to recordings/DVR on <device nickname>"
Note: Once you launch an app, you must use your remote to navigate.
Play, pause, stop, rewind and fast-forward by duration:
- "Alexa, pause <device nickname>"
- "Alexa, rewind by 10 minutes on <device nickname>"
- "Alexa, fast-forward by 60 seconds on <device nickname>"
- "Alexa, go to what to watch on <device nickname>"
- "Alexa, launch on now on <device nickname>"
- "Alexa, mute <device nickname>"
- "Alexa, unmute <device nickname>"
- "Alexa, increase volume by 3 points on <device nickname>"
- "Alexa, decrease volume by 5 on <device nickname>"
Did you know?
By enabling the TELUS Home Assistant Skill on Alexa, your Smart Home Security will be connected as well, allowing you to control your Smart Home Security devices hands-free. Visit thepage to learn more.
You can ask Alexa about your TELUS Mobility and Home Solutions accounts by enabling the TELUS Action. For example, ask Alexa about your bill. Visit thepage to learn more.
Below is a list of known issues with TELUS Home Assistant that we are working on resolving. If your issue is not covered below, please visit theto share your feedback for future improvements.
|Slow response to commands||We are continuing to work hard to improve the speed of commands.If you are experiencing extended speed issues, please try the following troubleshooting steps:1. Check your internet connection as the speed relies on the stability of your WiFi network. Rebooting your modem and router2. Reboot Alexa-enabled device or quit and restart if you are using the Alexa app (To reboot the Alexa-enabled device, remove the power cable for a few seconds and then plug back in.)3. Ensure your device is set up away from obstructions or other devices that would impede the microphone from receiving a command, and that the mute button for the mic is not switched on|
|“Search for” and “Find” commands are not always triggering a response.||These two commands are being developed to make it easier for you to search. In the meantime, please use the phrase “Show me”.|
|Issues with commands while in the Stingray Music, Youtube and Netflix apps on 4K boxes.||TELUS Home Assistant does not currently support searching using voice in the Stingray Music, Netflix or YouTube app on 4K boxes. You can, however, use the search command to find content on Live TV and On Demand.|
|Unable to tune to a Live TV channel while on On Demand content.||Please repeat the command. Our teams are working hard to resolve this defect upon a future release.|
|Fast forward and rewind does 30 second skips.||Please skip ahead or skip back by duration while our teams work on improving this feature.|
|"Launch scheduled recording" does not work even though Alexa responds positively.||At this moment, you cannot launch scheduled recordings. However, you can “launch recordings” or “go to recordings”.|
|My Alexa-enabled device is responding to the search command, but no changes occur on the TV.||The channel you are searching for is not in the Channel Map. Try tuning to the channel by channel name.|
Additional known issues for the Alexa app
Known issue with linking: Error message while linking TELUS Home Assistant in Alexa application.
You may experience intermittent linking issues when linking with TELUS Home Assistant via the Alexa app. In the meantime, please try the following fixes for the issue:
- Check back on settings screen to see if pairing was successful
- Retry linking a few more times as subsequent attempt should be successful
- "Turn off the volume" is not working. Please try again using the phrase: “Hey Alexa, mute on (device nickname)”. Alexa responds twice to every command. This should not affect the performance of the command appearing on screen and will be resolved in a future release
- "Tune to previous channel" command does not work. We will be correcting this in an upcoming release
While we improve this feature, please use the channel tune function: "Hey Alexa, tune to channel 101 on (device nickname)" or "Hey Alexa, tune to CTV on (device nickname)”. Alexa says “recording” while the screen may say “this program cannot be recorded” when you attempt to record on an unsubscribed channel or On Demand content.
Please note that you cannot record On Demand content.
If your question is not covered below, please visit theto share your feedback for future improvements.
|My commands aren’t working||1. Say the command differently or be more specific. Try using a different verb or say the nickname of the digital box (i.e. instead of saying "Hey Alexa, show me the news," try saying "Hey Alexa, tune to CNN on Living Room TV")2. Unlink and relink the TELUS Home Assistant Action3. In the Alexa app, set a new nickname for your TV and repeat the nickname at the end of each command i.e. “Hey Alexa tune to CNN on the Living Room TV.”4. Check the Wi-Fi connection. Ask your device "Hey Alexa, what’s the weather today?" to easily confirm if it is connected to the internet5. Visitto troubleshoot your device|
|Who is able to use TELUS Home Assistant for Optik?||Available for all British Columbia and Alberta customers with TELUS Optik TV, Internet and a supported device.|
|How many Optik boxes can I link with my smart speaker?||You can link multiple Optik digital boxes to one device. Make sure to nickname your boxes so that Alexa knows which digital box should listen to your command.|
|Which languages are supported?||TELUS Home Assistant only supports English commands at this time|
|Do I need to use my remote?||For remote functions not covered by the available voice commands, you will need to use your remote to control your Optik TV. Stay tuned for more commands to become available on TELUS Home Assistant.|
|Can I turn my TV on using my voice?||Not at this time. Your TV and Optik TV must be turned on using your remote.|
|I’m having issues with my volume control.||Alexa controls the volume on your digital box and not your TV volume. For example, once you mute using your voice, you must also use your voice to unmute.|
|Where can I find a copy of the Terms and Conditions?||By enabling this action, you are agreeing to.|
|Got another question?||We understand that we may not have captured your question. If so, please visit our active.|