Setting up Smart Video Alerts
Learn how you can set up Smart Video Alerts
How to set up Smart Video Alerts
You can create Smart Video Alerts with Video Analytics recording rules by drawing virtual tripwires and fenced-in zones to identify when people, animals or cars are on your property. By setting up these rules, your Indoor or Outdoor Cameras will continuously scan your property and notify you of activity that's most important to you.
|We recommend using Video Analytics instead of Video Motion Detection. Combined with virtual tripwires and fenced-in zones, use Video Analytics to minimize unwanted recordings and enhance your perimeter security to gain more insight into activity in your home!|
To create Smart Video Alerts for your Indoor or Outdoor Cameras, watch the videos or follow the steps below.
- Log in to your TELUS SmartHome app or web portal
- Select Video from the menu on the left-hand side
- Select Recording Rules from the list of menu options. If you are in the mobile app, you will need to click the Settings icon first
- Select Add New Rule on the mobile app or Add Rule in the web portal
- Select Video Analytics
- Select the Indoor or Outdoor Camera you are adding a rule to
- Select the type of rule that best suits your needs. You can add up to three Video Analytics rules per camera
- Ground Zone rules are used to identify when objects are expected to linger in an area on your property (i.e. when visitors are waiting at your front door)
- Tripwire rules are used to identify when objects cross a virtual tripwire (i.e. when a car pulls up on the driveway)
- Select the Scenery and Minimum Object Detection Size
- Name your recording rule
- Draw your Ground Zone or Tripwire Rule
Pro-tip for Ground Zone rule users: If you have walls or ceilings in the camera's field of view, draw the rule from scratch by selecting the Clear Ground Zone button located below the drawing box and then draw your rule.
- Identify how long an object must be inside the area of interest before you are notified
- Complete your recording rule settings
Using the Set Minimum Delay Between Clips dropdown menu, select the desired timeframe. This setting determines how long the camera must wait after recording a clip to trigger another recording. The default setting is 3 minutes
Under The Rule will run..., click to select At all times or Only during the following times. If Only during the following times is selected, you can modify which days of the week to record on and the time for the recording rule to start and stop
Under Except when..., click to select any available exceptions that turn the rule off regardless of the schedule. Options include when the panel is armed away, the panel is armed stay, if a Geo-Device is inside a specified Geo-Fence, etc.
- Select what types of objects you want to be notified of
- Identify what types of notifications you want to receive
- Select Save
Frequently asked questions
I have a camera setup with Video Motion Detection, can I create Smart Video Alerts?
Before you can setup Smart Video Alerts, you have to delete your existing Video Motion Detection rules by following these steps:
- Log in to the web portal
- Select the Video category in the menu on the left-hand side
- From the top navigation bar, select Recording Rules
- Select the delete icon on each of the Video Motion Detection recording rules associated with the camera you want setup with Smart Video Alerts
- Follow the steps listed above to configure your Smart Video Alerts
I am getting notified about motion outside of my Ground Zone rule. How can I fix that?
- Log in to the web portal
- Select Video from the left-hand column
- Select Recording Rules from the top of the page
- Select the Video Analytics rule that you would like to modify
- Select Clear Ground Zone
- One by one, draw each point until you've drawn in the entire ground/floor surface that you would like the camera to monitor