Your TELUS Home Services bill includes charges for Internet, Optik TV, home phone and long distance services. The taxes on your TELUS bill may not always be what you were expecting. There are tax rules and regulations which TELUS follows when calculating the tax and the outcome may be a little confusing.
Taxes are dependent on your home province. Below is a list of topics containing basic information about sales tax and how they are charged to your account.
Understanding Sales Taxes and Your TELUS Bill
Typically, you are charged the appropriate tax for the province or territory in which you reside, but, if you travel to another province and make phone calls from there, you may be charged the tax of a different province.
Below is a summary of the current taxes and rates that apply in each province or territory:
Note: Goods and Services Tax (GST), Harmonized Sales Tax (HST), Quebec Sales Tax (QST) and Provincial Sales Tax (PST)
|British Columbia||5% GST and 7% PST|
|Saskatchewan||5% GST and 6% PST (5% PST prior to March 23, 2017)|
|Manitoba||5% GST and 8% PST|
|Québec||5% GST and 9.975% QST|
|New Brunswick||15% HST|
|Nova Scotia||15% HST|
|Prince Edward Island||15% HST|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||15% HST|
Note: This is general information only. The Canada Revenue Agency and the Provincial governments administer tax laws and provide much more detailed information about how those laws apply. If you can't find the information you need, please consult the government links below.
GST and HST and your TELUS bill
- Throughout the country, either the Goods and Services Tax (GST) or Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) will usually be charged on goods and services that you buy.
- If you live in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Quebec or any of the Territories you pay 5% GST (in addition, British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Manitoba have a Provincial Sales Tax. Quebec has the Quebec Sales Tax).
- If you live in Ontario, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island or Newfoundland and Labrador you pay HST.
- GST or HST must be paid on almost all goods and services you buy from TELUS, including mobile phone charges.
QST and Your TELUS Bill
- Quebec Sales Tax (QST) is charged to the same TELUS goods and services that you pay GST on in Quebec.
- QST is charged separately on your bill.
- The rate of QST is 9.975%.
PST and Your TELUS Bill
- British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Manitoba each impose a Provincial Sales Tax (PST) in addition to the GST that you pay in those provinces.
- PST does not always apply to all the same things as the GST/HST or QST.
- For example, in BC, PST does not apply to administrative charges (if any) on your bill.
- The most basic package of Optik TV services is PST exempt in BC and if you do not have the most basic package then the first $25 of your Optik TV services is PST exempt.
Depending on what type of credit was applied to your account, taxes are applied differently. Below are some examples of how taxes are applied to your bill when an adjustment has been made.
- When we correct a previous charge that was an error, the taxes that were previously charged will also be corrected.
- When we provide credits as a reward for renewing your contract, these credits include taxes and are marked with an asterisk on your bill.