TELUS Home Assistant (Beta) on the Google Assistant
Voice control your Optik TV with the Google Assistant
What is TELUS Home Assistant?
TELUS Home Assistant Action on the Google Assistant gives you hands-free voice control of your Optik TV. Don’t have Optik TV?and sign up today.
We are excited to have you try our Beta version of the TELUS Home Assistant Action. This version is currently in development and testing so that we can improve the experience before its official release. Therefore, we invite you to share feedback and get additional support on our community forum,.
Once the Action is officially released, you will need to take a few steps, such as re-linking via the Google Assistant app, in order to experience the full capabilities of the TELUS Home Assistant Action.
Any Google Assistant enabled device, including:
- Google Home
- Google Mini
- Google Max
- Third party speakers integrated with the Google Assistant
- The Google Assistant app downloaded on select iOS and Android smartphones and tablets
Don’t have a smart speaker device? Find out if your phone or tablet can be enabled with the Google Assistant by visiting, or purchase a Google device by shopping on .
Once your device is set up, link to TELUS Home Assistant to start using voice to control your Optik TV.
Which device are you using? Please visit the options below for instructions on how to link your Optik TV to Google Assistant.
Commands for your Optik TV
Try the following voice commands:
Change channel by name or number:
- "Hey Google, tune to CNN on <device nickname>"
- "Hey Google, change to channel 101 on <device nickname>"
Search by title or actor:
- "Hey Google, show me Game of Thrones on <device nickname>"
- "Hey Google, show me Tom Cruise on <device nickname>"
Open apps, guide and recordings:
- "Hey Google, open Netflix on <device nickname>"
- "Hey Google, launch Youtube on <device nickname>"
- "Hey Google, open Guide on <device nickname>"
- "Hey Google, launch PVR storage on <device nickname>"
- "Hey Google, go to recordings on <device nickname>"
Note: Once you launch an App, you must use your remote to navigate.
Play, pause, stop, rewind & fast-forward by duration:
- "Hey Google, pause <device nickname>"
- "Hey Google, rewind by 10 minutes on <device nickname>"
- "Hey Google, fast-forward by 60 seconds on <device nickname>"
- "Hey Google, launch recommendations on <device nickname>"
- "Hey Google, go to what to watch on <device nickname>"
- "Hey Google, launch on now on <device nickname>"
- "Hey Google, mute <device nickname>"
- "Hey Google, unmute <device nickname>"
- "Hey Google, increase volume by 3 points on <device nickname>"
- "Hey Google, decrease volume by 5 on <device nickname>"
Did you know?
You can ask Google about your TELUS Mobility and Home Solutions accounts by enabling the TELUS Action. For example, ask Google about your bill. Visit theto learn more.
Visit ourthat we are working to resolve throughout the beta version of the TELUS Home Assistant. If your issue is not covered, please visit the to share your feedback for future improvements.
Visit ourfor more information.
Try the following tips to quickly troubleshoot:
- Say the command differently or be more specific. Try using a different verb or say the nickname of the digital box (i.e. instead of saying "Hey Google, show me the news," try saying "Hey Google, tune to CNN on Living Room TV")
- Unlink and relink the TELUS Home Assistant Action by going to Home Control on your Google Home App. Select the drop down on top the top right corner > Manage accounts > TELUS Home Assistant under Linked Services to unlink. To relink, refer above to Get Started section above
- Set a nickname for your TV and tell Google at the end of each command which TV you are referring to
- Check the Wi-Fi connection. Ask your device "Hey Google, what’s the weather today?" to easily confirm if it is connected to the Internet
- Visit to troubleshoot your device
Still having issues? Visitto get support from our Neighbourhood community.
By enabling this action, you are agreeing to TELUS& .
*TELUS Home Assistant is available to residential customers who are subscribed to TELUS Optik TV with a Google Assistant enabled iOS or Android smartphone and/or Google Home device.
Google and Google Home are trademarks of Google LLC.
Help us improve this article
Please rate your experience