Boost Wi-Fi installation guide and how it works
Easy steps to getting started with your new Boost Wi-Fi device.
What is Boost Wi-Fi?
TELUS Boost Wi-Fi is a powerful system that extends the reach of in-home Wi-Fi signals to ensure every corner of the house has a strong and reliable Internet connection. With dead zones eliminated, Boost Wi-Fi ensures that users can video chat in the basement or stream a movie in the bedroom, while smart-home devices remain connected, no matter where they are in the house.
Boost Wi-Fi works with your gateway to create a mesh network throughout the home.
Consider your modem as a music player. Boost is like an additional speaker to ensure that you hear music seamlessly.
What’s in the box
- 2 Wi-Fi Boosts: You will find the Wi-Fi credentials, including your Wi-Fi Boost’s name and password and admin password, at the back of the Boost. It also has a QR-code which when scanned will display the serial number
- 2 power supplies
- Ethernet cable
Boost Wi-Fi product guide
- Android (version 4.4.2 and above) or iOS (version 8 and above) smartphone
- TELUS My Wi-Fi app
- TELUS Internet connection
- Electrical outlet for each Wi-Fi Boost
Setting up your Boost Wi-Fi
Watch this video on the steps to install your Boost Wi-Fi:
- Log in to the My Wi-fi App using your username (registered email address) and password for your My TELUS account
- The My Wi-Fi app will guide you through the steps to connect to your Boost Wi-Fi, enter the admin password and set the Boost Wi-Fi’s name. Wait for the LED light to turn from solid purple to flashing blue to flashing purple to solid blue. This may take up to 5 minutes
- The first Wi-Fi booster needs to be hardwired to the modem after installation
- Pick a location halfway between your modem and an area of poor or no signal to place the second Wi-Fi booster. Follow the My Wi-fi App’s instructions for installing the second Boost. Wait for the LED light to turn from solid purple to flashing blue to flashing purple to solid blue. This may take up to 5 minutes.
- Need to know more about the colours of the light on the booster. Read more on how to
- Once your new Wi-Fi booster is installed, it will appear on your My Wi-Fi app’s Network screen
*To learn how to install a third (or more) Wi-Fi Boost, use the Expansion Pack Quick Start Guide.
Setting up your Expansion Pack
- Ensure that you have installed your previous TELUS Wi-Fi Boosts from the Starter Pack. The My Wi-Fi app will guide you through the installation process
- From the top menu of the app, go to Settings and select Add another Wi-Fi Boost
- Without unplugging your first Wi-Fi Boost, connect your new Wi-Fi Boost to your modem using the Ethernet cable provided. If your modem has no vacant spots, you may temporarily disconnect one non-Boost connection to enable the Boost install
- Wait for the LED light to turn from solid purple to flashing blue to flashing purple to solid blue. This may take up to 5 minutes. Note: This step transfers your existing Boost Wi-Fi network settings to your new Wi-Fi Boost
- Repeat steps 2 to 4 for each additional Wi-Fi Boost you install
Boost Wi-Fi light colours explained
Your Wi-Fi booster has a good Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection.
Your Wi-Fi booster is connecting to your home network.
Your Wi-Fi booster is starting. It may take up to 2 minutes for your Wi-Fi booster to turn on. This process is complete once the LED is a solid blue.
Your Wi-Fi booster software is updating. Do not turn off your Wi-Fi booster during this time.
Your Wi-Fi booster is working, but moving it closer to the Wi-Fi booster that is connected to your modem could optimize performance.
Your Wi-Fi booster is not connected to the network. If it is the Wi-Fi booster connected to your modem, check the Ethernet connection. If it is located elsewhere in your home, try moving it closer to the Wi-Fi booster that is connected to your modem.
What to do after installation
- Forget the Modem wi-fi connection and connect all your devices to Boost Wi-Fi. This will ensure a seamless connection
- If you have a TELUS Wi-Fi Hub, it will act as your main Boost and you do not need to keep a Boost directly connected to it via the Ethernet cable
- In the My Wi-Fi app, you can know more about each Boost, e.g. name of the Boost, connection strength, speed test and pause your Wi-Fi