Weak network signal on your Smart Hub
The following steps will help resolve weak signal strength on your Smart Hub.
1. Correctly position your Smart Hub
Establishing the best connection to the network is the single biggest factor in optimizing the performance of your network.
- Place the Smart Hub above ground and near a window and on an elevated surface such as a table or shelf. If you have a multi-storey home, the highest floor is the best
- To ensure the best experience, we suggest moving your Smart Hub throughout your home and conducting a at each location with only 1 device connected to the hub. Connect the hub with an Ethernet cable. The location that gets the fastest download speed should be where you place your Smart Hub
- Foliage can impact your Smart Hub connection which can impact speed. If you notice a drop in speed in springtime, try moving the device around in your home by following the above steps
- Avoid placing the Smart Hub on the floor, in basements or closed in areas like closets or cabinets. Also avoid placing near mirrored objects, fish tanks or objects that may obstruct the signal
- If it’s in a location that is surrounded by other electronic items (see the section below), move it away from these items to ensure you have good signal strength
2. Minimize radio interference
Some devices may cause interference with your Wi-Fi signal if they are within close proximity (8-10 feet) of your Smart Hub. If possible, try removing or turning off sources of potential interference.
Try to relocate the following away from your Smart Hub and Wi-Fi devices:
- Cordless telephone base station
- Other wireless modems or routers
- Dense or metallic objects (file cabinets, brick walls, etc.)
- Copper or other metallic pipes
- Appliances, such as microwave ovens, air conditioners and television sets
- Garage door openers
- Building materials
- Bluetooth devices
- Wireless speaker system
- Baby monitors
- Wireless security cameras
- Certain monitors and LCD displays
If you're still experiencing weak network signal
If you’ve completed steps 1 and 2 and you are still experiencing weak network signal, please contact one of our technical support agents via chat, *611 (TELUS cell phone) or 1-866-558-2273.
Before you call, please make sure you:
- Are calling from the location of your Smart Hub to perform troubleshooting steps in-person
- Have a laptop, computer or another mobile device readily available to test connectivity
- Have an Ethernet cable available (if you are testing with a device that has an Ethernet cable port)
- Have your Smart Hub password (can be found on the bottom of your device)