You have three main options when using your phone while you travel: Easy Roam, travel passes or pay-per-use.
Easy Roam lets you use your Canadian rate plan when you travel to the United States and more than 100 countries internationally. For $7 a day in the US and $12 a day internationally, you can access the voice minutes, text messages, and data included in your smartphone or tablet plan, instead of incurring roaming charges. Calls and text messages to numbers outside Canada and the U.S. are not included.
The $7 per day fee will be capped at $100 per billing cycle for US roaming, and the $12 per day fee will be capped at $150 for international roaming. If you continue to use your device after passing that threshold, you will get the benefits of Easy Roam without incurring any additional daily charges, until your next bill cycle.
Once you enable Easy Roam, you are covered for your immediate and any future trips to all the destinations covered by Easy Roam. There is no charge for the feature unless you are roaming and using your phone.
Note: you cannot have both Easy Roam and a travel pass for the US active on your device at the same time. If you want to add a 30-day travel pass you need to remove Easy Roam from your account.
How to purchase Easy Roam before or during your trip
- Text ROAM to 7626 from your device
- Log in to My Account for free from your TELUS device
- Use the TELUS My Account app (free from a TELUS mobile device)
- Call *611 (or +1 416-940-5995 if travelling internationally) from your TELUS phone
30 Day Travel passes
TELUS offers 30 day, one-time travel passes to get data, voice and text separate from your existing Canadian plan while roaming. To explore your travel pass options, visit telus.com/travel to search the country you’re traveling to.
Unlike Easy Roam, your usage on a travel pass - calling minutes, messages or data - is not deducted from your monthly rate plan allotment. Minutes included in a travel pass cover calls made within the applicable region or received from anywhere in the world while you’re in the applicable region. SMS messages included in a travel pass cover outgoing text messages sent anywhere in the world while you’re in the applicable region. Incoming SMS is free while travelling outside Canada.
When you arrive at your destination, you will receive a free welcome SMS message with the pay-per-use rates. If you have purchased a travel pass, these rates do not apply to you and you will receive a free welcome SMS that indicates the travel pass you have purchased.
- US data is charged by the MB and is prorated to the closest 1 kB. International Data is charged by the MB and is prorated to the closest 20 KB
- BlackBerry service is subject to availability
- Your travel pass will only work on the phone it was added to. Each subscriber will require a travel pass to benefit from preferred rates
If you do not have Easy Roam orpurchase a travel pass, pay-per-use rates will apply. Find rates for the country you will be visiting.
- Pay-per-use voice rates are charged for calls made to or received from anywhere in the world, while you are outside Canada
- Pay-per-use SMS rates are charged for messages sent to anywhere in the world while you are outside Canada. Incoming SMS is free while travelling outside of Canada
- SMS messages do not include MMS messages, including video & picture messages (they are charged as data). SMS messages do not include iMessage messages (they are charged as data). SMS is charged as 1 message = 160 characters