Spam text messages are unsolicited and generally unwanted commercial advertisements sent to wireless phones via text or picture/video messaging. Not just annoying, these unsolicited messages count against your text messaging plan, creating additional concerns.
Many spam messages announce that you've "won" something or qualify for a refund. The fraudulent text entices you to collect your prize by going to a website or calling a number. The spammer's intent is to access your personal data so they can sell that data to someone else. Be aware of the different phone and text messaging scams that target TELUS wireless and text messaging customers.
Spam text messaging is an increasing problem worldwide. With your help, we are committed to fighting spam and are working to minimize it across our network.
What to do if you receive a spam text message
- Forward the spam message to the short code 7726 (SPAM) so that we can start an investigation. If you receive a number of spam texts, we recommend putting 7726 into your contact list so that you don't need to remember the numbers
- Don't respond directly to a phone number where you believe the spam text originated. Responding alerts the spammer that your number is genuine
- If you're not able to view the number or if it's email spam, forward us the entire message (along with the full header if it's an email)
It's free to report spam
Reporting Spam to 7726 is free. Messages forwarded to 7726 don't count toward your data or Messaging usage package.
How to forward a text message from your phone to 7726
Forwarding methods will vary, depending on your phone.
- Touch and hold the message
- Select More.
- Select the message you want to forward, then select Arrow in the bottom right corner
- Enter 7726
- Select Send
- Android and Windows:
- Press the message (being careful not to activate a link)
- Choose Forward (from the menu)
- Forward to 7726
- Open the message
- Using the Menu key select Forward
- Forward to 7726
What to do if you get charged for spam text messages
If spam text messaging has become a problem for you, simply forward the message and we'll work to resolve the issue. You won't be charged for forwarding spam messages to 7726.
If you believe you've been charged for a spam text message, chat with us online, call *611 from your TELUS wireless phone, or visit a TELUS store. We'll work with you to resolve the charge.