Boost Wi-Fi installation guide and how it works
Easy steps to getting started with your new Boost Wi-Fi device.
What is Boost Wi-Fi?
TELUS Boost Wi-Fi is a powerful system that extends the reach of in-home Wi-Fi signals to ensure every corner of the house has a strong and reliable Internet connection. With dead zones eliminated, Boost Wi-Fi ensures that users can video chat in the basement or stream a movie in the bedroom, while smart-home devices remain connected, no matter where they are in the house.
Boost Wi-Fi works with your gateway to create a mesh network throughout the home.
Consider your modem as a music player. Boost is like an additional speaker to ensure that you hear music seamlessly.
What’s in the box
- 2 Wi-Fi Boosts: You will find the Wi-Fi credentials, including your Wi-Fi Boost’s name and password and admin password, at the back of the Boost. It also has a QR-code which when scanned will display the serial number
- 2 power supplies
- Ethernet cable
Boost Wi-Fi product guide
- Android (version 8 and above) or iOS (version 13 and above) smartphone
- TELUS Connect app
- TELUS Internet connection
- Electrical outlet for each Wi-Fi Boost
Setting up your Boost Wi-Fi
Watch this video on the steps to install your Boost Wi-Fi:
- Log in to the TELUS Connect app using your username (registered email address) and password for your My TELUS account
- The TELUS Connect app will guide you through the steps to connect to your Boost Wi-Fi, enter the admin password and set the Boost Wi-Fi’s name. Wait for the LED light to turn from solid purple to flashing blue to flashing purple to solid blue. This may take up to 5 minutes
- The first Wi-Fi booster needs to be hardwired to the modem after installation
- Pick a location halfway between your modem and an area of poor or no signal to place the second Wi-Fi booster. Follow the TELUS Connect app’s instructions for installing the second Boost. Wait for the LED light to turn from solid purple to flashing blue to flashing purple to solid blue. This may take up to 5 minutes.
- Need to know more about the colours of the light on the booster. Read more on how to
- Once your new Wi-Fi booster is installed, it will appear on the TELUS Connect app’s Network screen
*To learn how to install a third (or more) Wi-Fi Boost, use the Expansion Pack Quick Start Guide.
Setting up your Expansion Pack
- Ensure that you have installed your previous TELUS Wi-Fi Boosts from the Starter Pack. The TELUS Connect app will guide you through the installation process
- From the top menu of the app, go to Settings and select Add another Wi-Fi Boost
- Without unplugging your first Wi-Fi Boost, connect your new Wi-Fi Boost to your modem using the Ethernet cable provided. If your modem has no vacant ports, you may temporarily disconnect one non-Boost connection to enable the Boost install
- Wait for the LED light to turn from solid purple to flashing blue to flashing purple to solid blue. This may take up to 5 minutes. Note: This step transfers your existing Boost Wi-Fi network settings to your new Wi-Fi Boost
- Repeat steps 2 to 4 for each additional Wi-Fi Boost you install
Boost Wi-Fi light colours explained
Your Wi-Fi booster has a good Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection.
Your Wi-Fi booster is connecting to your home network.
Your Wi-Fi booster is starting. It may take up to 2 minutes for your Wi-Fi booster to turn on. This process is complete once the LED is a solid blue.
Your Wi-Fi booster software is updating. Do not turn off your Wi-Fi booster during this time.
Your Wi-Fi booster is working, but moving it closer to the Wi-Fi booster that is connected to your modem could optimize performance.
Your Wi-Fi booster is not connected to the network. If it is the Wi-Fi booster connected to your modem, check the Ethernet connection. If it is located elsewhere in your home, try moving it closer to the Wi-Fi booster that is connected to your modem.
What to do after installation
- Forget the modem Wi-Fi connection and connect all your devices to Boost Wi-Fi. This will ensure a seamless connection
- If you have a TELUS Wi-Fi Hub, it will act as your main Boost and you do not need to keep a Boost directly connected to it via the Ethernet cable
- In the TELUS Connect app, you can know more about each Boost, e.g. name of the Boost, connection strength, speed test and pause your Wi-Fi