Requirements for 4K Optik
Learn about the equipment and Internet service required for 4K
4K technology displays images at over eight million pixels (3,840 x 2,160), providing pictures with an ultra-high resolution that is roughly four times that of current HD (1,920 x 1,080 pixels).
What you need to watch Optik 4K
- A 4K TV that supports both HDMI 2.0 and High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) 2.2
- An Optik 4K PVR. The Optik 4K PVR allows you to record, pause and watch 4K programs and enables viewing and recording of programs on up to five additional TVs in the home
- The Optik 4K Wireless Digital Box provides the 4K experience for other 4K TVs in your home, in addition to being our latest generation digital box
- Note: A 4K TV is not required for general HD television viewing
- The minimum Internet service required to watch 4K content is TELUS Internet 50. Included with the Optik 4K Offer, Internet 50 supports the improved picture quality that 4K delivers
- An HDMI cable that clearly indicates it is a High speed or Premium high speed cable
Understanding 4K requirements
- 4K programming takes up almost 4 times the bandwidth as HD. With TELUS Internet 50 you will have enough bandwidth to watch 4K and surf the internet with no loss of performance
- Any audio visual components (such as audio receiver or blue ray player) connected to your Optik service must also be HDCP 2.2 compliant to ensure you can view 4K content on Optik
- High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) 2.2 is the latest form of digital copy protection that prevents copying of digital audio and video content as it travels across HDMI 2.0 connections
- This latest standard was enforced as a result of content producers’ need to protect their content from piracy
- HDCP 2.2 was not yet implemented when 4K (UHD) TVs were initially manufactured. Most 4K TVs sold in popular home electronics stores since 2015 are HDCP 2.2 compatible
- To check if your TV is HDCP 2.2 compatible, check your owner’s manual or check the manufacturers online support pages for your TV
- If you do not have an HDCP 2.2 compatible HDTV and you watch 4K content it will display in 1080p
How to Upgrade an Optik TV Subscription to 4K
Already an existing Optik TV customer? You may be eligible to upgrade to 4K.
To upgrade, please contact us to have an agent verify if Optik 4K is available in your area. You may also check if you can get TELUS Internet 50 by entering your address on our Internet eligibility page. If TELUS Internet 50 is not yet available in your area, we won’t be able to upgrade your service to 4K at this time. Be sure to check out TELUS PureFibre to find out when it is coming to your area.