Everything you need to know about setting up and using your smartwatch.
What is the difference between OneNumber and Standalone Smartwatch rate plans?
OneNumber plans enable your smartphone and smartwatch to share the same phone number. This will allow you to seamlessly switch between your smartphone and smartwatch. When you receive a phone call both your smartphone and smartwatch will ring at the same time.
Standalone plans give your smartwatch its own phone number. This enables your smartwatches to operate independently of your smartphone. When a smartwatch is activated with a standalone plan it will operate using its own voice and text services. Data services are billed and shared based on the rate plan selected. Standalone plans are only available on compatible Apple Watch devices utilizing Apple Family setup. See the list of compatible devices.
Do I need to add a specific rate plan for my smartwatch to connect to the TELUS network?
One of the rate plans listed below must be added to your smartwatch in order for it to connect to the TELUS network.
Peace of Mind Connect Access: With a Peace of Mind Connect plan, you can access endless data on your smartwatch with 1 plan. You can only add a Peace of Mind Connect Access plan if you also have a smartphone Peace of Mind Connect plan. Visit telus.com/PeaceOfMind to learn more.
Simple Share: The Simple Share Watch plan will allow you to share data with another subscriber on a TELUS Simple Share or legacy share plan on the same account. The plan includes 1GB of data which will be pooled in with your smartphone data bucket.
Standalone (only available on Apple Watch with Family Setup)
Peace of Mind Connect Access: With a Peace of Mind Connect plan, you can access endless data on your smartwatch with one plan. You will receive a separate phone number and also get access to separate voice services on your smartwatch. You can only add a Peace of Mind Connect Access plan if you also have a smartphone Peace of Mind Connect plan. Visit telus.com/PeaceOfMind to learn more.
Simple Share: The Simple Share Watch plan will allow you to share data with another subscriber on a TELUS Simple Share or legacy share plan on the same account. The plan includes 1GB of data which will be pooled in with your smartphone data bucket. You will receive a separate phone number and also get access to separate voice services on your smartwatch.
What is required to set up a plan on my smartwatch?
- An Apple Watch Series 3 or later with cellular and an iPhone 6s or later. The iPhone must be operating iOS 14 or higher
- Any Samsung Galaxy smartwatch and a Samsung smartphone. The phone must be operating on Android 5.0 or higher, have 1.5GB of RAM or higher and be VoLTE capable
- Smartphone must be connected to the TELUS network with VoLTE coverage on a postpaid account with a My TELUS profile
- Apple Watch Series 4 or later with cellular, or Apple Watch SE with cellular running watchOS 7.4 or later and an iPhone 6s or later with iOS 14.5 or later and the latest carrier bundle version (iPhone is only required for the initial setup)
Please note: Standalone plans are not available on Samsung Galaxy smartwatches or Samsung smartphones.
- iPhone must be connected to the TELUS network on a postpaid account with a My TELUS profile
- An Apple ID for yourself and one for the family member who will use the Apple Watch. Your Apple ID needs to have two-factor authentication turned on
- A Family Sharing Setup that includes the person who'll use the Apple Watch. You need to have the role of organizer or parent/guardian to set up an Apple Watch for a family member
What is Apple Family Setup?
The Apple Family Setup allows an iPhone user to pair up an Apple Watch for a family member that may not own an iPhone of their own. This setup gives the Apple Watch user the ability to use the watch to make/receive calls and send/receive messages and data using their own phone number that is independent from the iPhone. The iPhone user can still manage some features of the family member’s watch using the Apple Watch app on their iPhone.
Note: Family Sharing is an Apple ID-based Apple service, and is not related to any TELUS Sharing rate plans.
Can I activate a smartwatch on the TELUS network with a non-TELUS smartphone?
At this time you cannot activate a smartwatch on the TELUS network with a non-TELUS smartphone.
A compatible VoLTE TELUS smartphone connected to the TELUS network with a postpaid account is required to activate any smartwatch.
Here are the requirements for setting up a smartwatch on the TELUS network.
How many devices can I activate on the same account?
Each postpaid iPhone user can add up to 5 watches in Standalone mode and 5 watches in OneNumber mode, for a total of 10 watches linked to 1 iPhone.
Postpaid Samsung users can only add up 5 watches in OneNumber mode to a Samsung smartphone.
If more than 1 compatible smartphone is on an account, each device is eligible to add multiple watches. All watches, regardless of the mode, will be billed separately on the invoice, according to the rate plan used by the watch.
The number of devices purchased leveraging TELUS Easy Payment® is subject to approved credit.
Can I use my cellular-enabled smartwatch across Canada on the TELUS network?
Yes, your smartwatch will work across Canada on the TELUS network with any of our plans.
Can I use my cellular-enabled smartwatch when travelling outside of Canada?
No. Currently, you cannot roam with your smartwatch.
Travelling with a OneNumber plan
If you have a smartwatch on a OneNumber plan, you can continue to use it with Bluetooth enabled to make and receive calls, and send and receive text messages.
Travelling with a Standalone plan
If you have a smartwatch on a Standalone plan, you can continue to use it with Wi-Fi. Please note, when outside Canada, your smartwatch will not allow Wi-Fi calling or messaging. Only iMessage and Facetime Audio will be available.
Can I use my smartwatch without my smartphone nearby?
Yes, if your smartwatch is on a OneNumber plan and is connected to a cellular network or Wi-Fi, your watch can do everything that it normally does, even if your smartphone isn't nearby.
Note: For both the Apple Watch & Samsung Galaxy watches, your paired smartphones must be powered on and connected to either Wi-Fi or the TELUS network in order to send or receive SMS/MMS. You can, however, still make/receive calls from the smartwatches when the smartphone is turned off. Additionally, for Samsung users, you will need to have a Samsung account active on the smartphone for SMS/MMS to work.
Yes, if your smartwatch is on a Standalone plan and is connected to a cellular network or Wi-Fi, your watch can do everything it normally does and does not need to be near the iPhone you use to initially pair and set up the Apple Watch. Read more on how to use your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby.
How do I set up my Smartwatch?
Where can I find my phone number for my family member’s smartwatch on a Standalone plan?
To find the phone number for your smartwatch on a Standalone plan, there are a few options depending on whether you have the watch nearby or not:
- On the Apple Watch, go to Settings > Phone. The phone number will show up above “My number”
- On the iPhone used to initially pair and set up the Apple Watch, go to the watch app and connect to the watch you would like to know the phone number of. The watch must be within normal Bluetooth range of the iPhone (approximately 33 feet or 10 meters). Go to Cellular and select the i symbol next to the TELUS cellular plan. Select Manage TELUS account. The phone number will appear under “About”
- Log in to your My TELUS account and under the “Plans & devices” page you can find all of the subscribers on the account
Where can I see data usage for my Smartwatch?
You can view data usage for your Smartwatch using My TELUS.
To track mobile data with the My TELUS app
- Download and log in to the My TELUS app
- Data usage highlights appear on the Overview screen
- Select the Usage tab for a detailed breakdown of your account’s usage
To track mobile data with My TELUS:
- Log in to My TELUS
- Select the Usage tab for a detailed breakdown of your account’s usage
I purchased a smartwatch from a store other than TELUS. How do I activate it?
To activate your smartwatch purchased from a store other than TELUS, you must activate it on device.
- Apple Smartwatches purchased from other Canadian carriers or the US will work on our network, with the exception of some refurbished devices. Smartwatches purchased internationally (outside of the US) are not compatible
- Samsung Smartwatches purchased from other Canadian carriers will work on our network, with the exception of some refurbished devices. Samsung Smartwatches purchased in the US or internationally are not compatible
- Learn how to activate your Apple Watch on a OneNumber plan
- Learn how to activate your Samsung Watch on a OneNumber plan
Learn how to activate your Apple Watch on a Standalone plan.
I’d like to hand down an Apple Watch to a family member on my account. What should I do?
If you’d like to hand down an Apple Watch currently on a OneNumber plan to a Family member to use with a Standalone plan, please contact TELUS at 1-866-558-2273 or *611 on your TELUS mobile phone.
If you’d like to hand down an Apple Watch currently on a OneNumber plan to a Family member to use on a OneNumber plan, please check whether you have a device balance remaining.
- If you have a device balance remaining and the new user is on the same billing account number (BAN), please contact TELUS to have the watch transferred to your family member
- If you have a device balance remaining and the new user is not on the same BAN, you will have to pay off your device balance first. Please contact TELUS to complete this step and then have the watch transferred to your family member
- If you do not have a device balance remaining, unpair the Apple Watch from the old phone and select Remove plan. Then, pair the Apple Watch to your family member’s phone
How can I switch from a OneNumber to Standalone plan?
In order to switch from a OneNumber to a Standalone plan, you must contact TELUS at 1-866-558-2273 or *611 on your TELUS mobile phone.
How can I switch from a Standalone to OneNumber plan?
In order to switch from a Standalone to a OneNumber plan, you must contact TELUS at 1-866-558-2273 or *611 on your TELUS mobile phone.
What apps are available on my family member’s smartwatch in Family Setup?
Using their smartwatch in Family Setup, your family member can connect with family and friends through phone calls and Messages, stay motivated to reach personalized Activity goals, express themselves through custom Memojis, and enjoy features that give them more independence like Maps, Siri, Alarms, and the App Store. Family Setup also makes it possible for kids and older family members to benefit from powerful safety tools like Emergency SOS, and parents are able to reach their child and identify their location while knowing all personal data is securely encrypted.
Please note that some Apple Watch features depend on having a companion iPhone, and aren't available on an Apple Watch that you pair using Family Setup. The following features and apps are not available:
- Irregular heart rhythm notifications, ECG, Cycle Tracking, Sleep, Blood Oxygen, Podcasts, Remote, News, Home and Shortcuts
- Apple Pay using a credit, debit or transit card in the Wallet app is not available with Family Setup
- The TELUS SmartHome Apple Watch app is not available with Family Setup - only on a smartwatch with OneNumber
Also, please note some health and fitness features depend on the age of the user:
- High and low heart rate notifications are available for users 13 and older
- Fall detection is available for users 18 and older
- Users under the age of 13 can use move minutes, rather than active calories, for their Move goal in the Activity app
How do I manage the calling features on my smartwatch?
To manage calling features for a smartwatch on a OneNumber plan, use the settings on your smartphone. Your OneNumber plan allows your smartwatch to use the mobile number and features of the primary device as its own.
To manage calling features for an Apple Watch on a Standalone plan, select the Settings icon on the watch and then navigate to the settings for Phone. Within those settings you can manage:
- Call Forwarding
- Call Waiting
- Show Caller ID