Pik TV app for Chromecast with Google TV
Learn how to get started with the Pik TV app on your Chromecast with Google TV.
Features, requirements and restrictions
The Pik TV app is now available for Chromecast with Google TV. Now you can watch live TV and access a large On Demand library of TV shows and movies on your Chromecast with Google TV using your Pik TV subscription.
Requirements and restrictions:
- Subscription to TELUS Internet, Pik TV and live channels is required. Licensing and rights limitations mean that not all programs and channels are available when not connected to your TELUS home internet
- My TELUS username and password are required to log in to this service
- The Pik TV app for Chromecast with Google TV can only be used in Canada when connected to your TELUS home internet
The Pik TV app is available for Chromecast with Google TV and is not compatible with Google Chromecast or Chromecast Ultra. The Pik TV app does not currently allow casting (using Chromecast or Airplay) or screen mirroring.
Pik TV app installation steps on your Chromecast with Google TV
To install the Pik TV app on your Chromecast with Google TV, you will need to be logged in to the Google Play Store with your Google username and password.
Follow these steps to install the Pik TV app:
- From the Google TV home screen, navigate to Apps in the top menu, and then Search for apps in the App categories row. Search for Pik TV using the on-screen keyboard or the Google assistant voice search
- Select Install and your download will start
- After your download is complete, select Open to open the Pik TV app
You will need your My TELUS username and password to log in to Pik TV. Don’t have My TELUS? You can register now.
Using the Chromecast with Google TV remote to control Pik TV
- Direction pad or D-pad:
- When browsing the Menu, Home screen, Live TV, On Demand, Guide or Settings: Scrolls left/right/up/down
- When watching live tv: The up and down directions function as channel up and channel down
- Play/pause button: Pauses and resumes On Demand playback, where available
- Middle button on D-pad (OK or Select): When something is highlighted, this button will confirm your selection
- During live or On Demand playback, press this button once to open up the info screen, display the program information or turn on or off the audio accessibility settings (CC - Closed Captioning or AD - Described Video)
- During On Demand playback, the play/pause button and skip ahead/skip back buttons are also displayed
- During live playback, the second press of this button opens up the live guide
- During On Demand playback, the second press of this button pauses playback. A third press restarts playback
- Volume up button
- Volume down button
- Back button: Returns you to your previous screen
- Google assistant button
- Home button: Takes you to the Google TV home screen
- Mute button
- YouTube button: Launches the YouTube app
- Netflix button: Launches the Netflix app
- Power button: Turns the Chromecast with Google TV on or off. If paired to your TV, it will also turn your TV on or off at the same time
- Input button: If the remote is paired to your TV, this button allows you to change HDMI inputs
- To control your TV’s power and volume with the Chromecast with Google TV remote, you will need to pair the remote with your TV. Please refer to your TV manual for instructions
- Pik TV does not currently allow you to pause, rewind or fast forward live TV. Pause, rewind and fast forward are available for On Demand programming at the discretion of the content provider
- To watch Netflix, a subscription is required
Navigate through the Pik TV app
The Pik TV app for Android TV allows you easy access to your content with a navigation menu on the left-hand side of your screen.
You can use the search function to find a movie, TV series or cast member. If searching for a movie or TV series, your search results will include both live and On Demand viewing options for your title.
If searching for a specific cast member, your search results will provide a list of available live or On Demand titles where that cast member appeared.
From the Home screen, you can see what’s On Now on live TV, Resume your On Demand programming, browse Highlights and favourites or view your recent Purchases.
All Pik TV customers have access to the live and On Demand content included in their subscription. Some channels are only available when connected to your home TELUS Internet service due to content provider restrictions. Live TV will show you what’s on now by category.
During live TV playback, you can press the middle button of the D-Pad on your Chromecast with Google TV remote control once to bring up the program information screen and turn on closed captioning (CC) or described video (AD). A second press of this button will bring up a live guide, where you can see what’s on now, what’s coming up and change channels without stopping live playback.
To change channels in live TV playback mode, you can also use the up and down buttons on the D-Pad of your Chromecast with Google TV remote.
All Pik TV customers have access to the live and On Demand content included in their subscription, as well as a selection of On Demand movies available for rental. You can browse by Featured titles, TV Shows, Movies, Kids, Channels and more.
Note: You can pause, rewind or fast forward On Demand TV content, but these features may be disabled on select programming by the content provider. You can pause, rewind or fast forward On Demand movies available for rental.
In the Guide section, you can see what’s playing today on the channels that are available to you on this device.
You can also filter your guide by selecting the filter icon in the top left-hand corner of your screen.
- Filtering by channels: My subscribed channels will display all of the channels that you have in your Pik TV subscription. All Channels will display all of the channels that are available with Pik TV and Playable on this device will display all of the channels that you are subscribed to and can watch on this device. Please note that some channels are only available when connected to your TELUS home internet connection
- Filtering by category: You may choose All Channels, Music, Children, News or Sports. Only the channels within these categories will be displayed
You may also browse the guide for any day up to 10 days in the future by selecting the calendar icon in the top left-hand corner of your screen.
Selecting Settings will allow you to set your closed captioning and audio description settings, see your app and version information, account info or log out from the Pik TV app.
Selecting Exit will close the Pik TV app and return you to the Google TV home screen.