Features, requirements and restrictions
Watch live TV and access a huge On Demand library of TV shows, movies and documentaries on your iOS phone or tablet.
Optik TV offers up to 185 channels, with 164 of those available in-home and out-of-home and the remaining 21 available in-home only. The number of available channels may differ depending on your geographical location. To see what channels are available, please visit telus.com/OptikApp.
Requirements and restrictions
- Subscription to Optik TV and live channels required. Licensing and rights limitations mean that not all programs and channels are available on the go. Online access for some channels requires TELUS Internet service
- My TELUS username and password is required to log into this service
- The app can only be used in Canada on select devices within wireless network coverage areas. Data charges may apply for mobile service outside Wi-Fi coverage
- Airplay is not supported due to content provider restrictions
Below is the list of officially supported Apple devices, though you may be able to use the app on devices not listed.
Supported iOS devices (iOS 11.1 and later)
- Apple iPad Air, Air 2, Mini 3, Mini 4, new iPad (2017, 2018), Pro 9.7”, Pro 10.5”, Pro 12.9”
- Apple iPhones 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XR, iPhone XS Max
Devices not supported
- Devices running iOS11 or lower
- iPhone 5SE
- iPad Mini 2
Note: iPhone X, XS, XR, XS Max playback is available but will not go full screen. We are currently working on a resolution for a future release.
Install the Optik TV app
Please visit the App Store on your Apple device to download the Optik TV app:
To login, you must use your My TELUS username & password to log in. Don’t have My TELUS? Register now.
Most content is available in 720P. However, some live channels are available in 1080P. We are working towards adding more high quality content soon.
Note: 4K content is not available.
Closed captioning and described video can be turned on for any program or movie that the content providers have enabled them on.
How to turn on closed captioning (CC) or described video (AD)
During live or VOD playback: When watching live or on demand, tap the gear icon in the top right corner. Then select Closed captioning and/or audio description to turn it on. To turn it off, tap it again.
Through more section: On the bottom bar select More. Tap Closed captioning and/or audio description to turn it on. To turn it off, tap it again.
Navigate through the Optik TV iOS app
The updated app allows you easy access to your content from any screen with the addition of bottom bar navigation available on all screens.
- On the bottom bar select Search
- Enter the movie, TV series or cast name you are looking for
- TV series or movie: Select the title you are looking for and it will bring you to the series or movie page which includes both live and on demand options for your title
- Cast search: Will provide a list of available live or on demand titles
On the Series page for a TV program you can see all available On Demand and live programming.
- All Optik TV customers have access to the live and On Demand content included in their subscription, as long as it is available on the go
- Licensing and rights limitations mean that not all programs and channels are available to watch on the go
- Some channels are only available when connected to your home TELUS Internet service due to content provider restrictions
- You cannot rewind, pause or fast forward a live program at this time
From any screen select the Guide button on the bottom bar to bring up the guide. The channels you are subscribed to will appear.
There are 3 channel views available, you can use the Filter by menu option (under All categories) to choose the view that you prefer.
- Playable on this device (default): Includes all channels in your package that are playable on the device
- Subscribed: Includes all channels in your package, though not all may be playable on your device.
- All channels: Includes all channels available on Optik TV, including those you are not subscribed to. You can visit telus.com/myaccount to subscribe to the additional channels
Navigate through the Live guide
Scroll through the grid guide or use the date picker to move to early dates.
Select On now
Select the date and time you want to view
The guide will move to the date and time you have selected. To choose another time, scroll horizontally through the guide
Changing channels during live playback
The Live TV Player now allows you to watch your programs in Portrait or Landscape mode. You can change channels and see up next without interrupting your viewing.
In Portrait mode, select [ ] the channel through On Now, On Next and Program Description.
In Landscape mode, select [ ] to decrease video size and bring up On Now, On Next and Description Guide. Without changing screen size, tap screen and drag/tap Mini Guide to select another On Now channel.
On Demand programming
You are able to access all On Demand programming that is part of your subscription and available on the go.
TV shows On Demand: You can pause, fast forward or rewind On Demand TV content, but the features may be disabled on select programming by the provider.
Movies On Demand: You can rewind, pause or fast forward a movie On Demand.
Rent or purchase an On Demand movie
- Select the On Demand tab
- Browse the categories and find a movie to rent or buy
- Select the movie poster and the details screen will appear
- Select the version you wish to purchase and an option will appear to confirm rental or purchase. Once you confirm, the film will start playing automatically
- Pay-per-view titles are not available through the app
- Movies rented on your TV can take up to 30 minutes to appear in the app. Not all titles are available on all devices
- Movies rented using the app can take up to 30 minutes to appear on your Optik TV digital boxes
Changing episodes during playback
The On Demand Player now allows you to watch your programs in Portrait or Landscape mode. You can change episodes and seasons without interrupting your viewing.
In Portrait mode, select another episode through the episode list below the playback screen.
In Landscape mode, without changing screen size, tap screen and drag/tap Binge Guide to select another episode. On iPads only, select [ ] to decrease video size and bring up all available seasons and episodes.
|"Sorry, playback is only available when you are connected to your TELUS Internet network at home."||Some channels are only available when connected to your TELUS Internet network at home due to content provider restrictions.|
"Your account is in use on too many devices. To watch, please stop playback on another device."
|Streaming on more than 2 devices at a time|
You will need to stop playback on one of the devices when too many non-digital box devices are actively streaming via the Optik TV app concurrently.
Streaming on no more than 2 devices at a time
Please reach out to our Technical Team at telus.com/support through our chat option or at 1-888-811-2323 so they can assist.
|LP1008 error when logging in with My TELUS account.||If you receive this message, attempt to log in an hour later as the issue should have resolved. If you are still seeing the message, reach out to our Technical Support team at telus.com/support through our chat option or at 1-888-811-2323 so we can work to address the playback.|
|iOS or Apple TV hanging on the loading page or black screen after log in and you are logged in to Apple TV Provider||1. Close the app|
2. Go to the settings section on your Apple device and log out of Apple TV Provider
3. Log back into the app and select “Don’t Allow” when prompted