Before you begin, make sure your garage door is compatible with our Smart Garage Door Opener. Learn more on Smart Garage Door Opener compatibility.
To install the Smart Garage Door Opener, you will need the following tools:
- Screwdriver or power drill
Components included in the package:
- Smart Garage Door Opener
- Adjustable mounting bracket
- Tilt sensor and mounting tape
- Power supply
- Power supply retaining bracket
- Wire ties, mounting screws and anchors
- The Smart Garage Door Opener should be installed on sectional type (roll up) doors only. Do not install on one-piece doors
- Operating temperature: -20° to -50°C
- Tilt sensor range: 100” line-of-sight to Smart Garage Door Opener
Installing your device using the mobile app
- Plug in the Smart Garage Door Opener in an outlet near the Control Panel
- Log in to the TELUS SmartHome app on your mobile device. Don’t have the app or having trouble logging in? Click here to learn more
- Select Menu at the top left-hand corner
- Select + Add device
- Select Other
- Confirm your Control Panel is unlocked and on the home screen before continuing
- Select Begin installation
- Please wait while the system is preparing for installation. Once your system is ready to add your device, it will show "Complete"
- Select Next. Your Control Panel will now search for your device
- Press the button on the side of the device once
- Your Control Panel will indicate that your device has been added to the network successfully
- Enter a name for your device and select Next. Congratulations, you have successfully added your new device to your account
- Select Add more to install additional devices or select Done at the top right corner to complete the installation process
Installing the Smart Garage Door Opener to your home
- Unplug the Smart Garage Door Opener while you are physically installing
- Attach the tilt sensor mounting plate to the top panel of the garage door
Note: Use double-sided tape (make sure to wipe down the surface first for maximum stickiness) or the two mounting screws supplied. Drill 1/16” pilot holes if required. Make sure the arrows on the mounting plate point up.
- Activate the sensor by removing the battery protection pull strip
- Snap the sensor onto the mounting plate. Make sure the arrow on the sensor is facing up
- Mount the Smart Garage Door Opener above the garage door opener or to the garage opener’s metal brackets with the mounting bracket
Next, mount your Smart Garage Door Opener to the ceiling above your garage opener:
- Use the four screws and anchors provided to mount the device above the garage door opener
- Place the device on the ceiling and mark the four holes with a screwdriver or pencil
- Pre-drill holes into the ceiling where you marked with a 3/16” drill bit
- Tap in anchors gently into pre-drilled holes with a hammer
- Mount the Smart Garage Door Opener to the ceiling with the screws
Note: It is best to mount on the ceiling near the opener and a power outlet. See image below for reference.
To mount the device to the metal brackets with the mounting bracket, follow these steps:
- Secure mounting bracket to the device with the supplied screws. The mounting bracket can be affixed in three different ways onto the device
- Use the nuts and bolts provided to attach the bracket and device to the garage door hardware. Make sure the device is clear of all moving parts of the garage door and the warning lamp is visible
Next, connect the wires:
- Connect the wires from the Smart Garage Door Opener to the push button wall console terminals on yourgarage door opener. The terminals may be named "PWC", "WC", "PB", "Push button", or "Red and white.” Terminal names and locations vary by model
- Plug the power cord into the power input jack
- Remove the screw from the 120VAC outlet faceplate. Secure the retaining bracket to the faceplate with the provided screw. Snap the power supply into the bracket while plugging into the outlet
Connecting the Smart Garage Door Opener to the garage door mechanism:
- Restore power to your garage door opener
- Connect the system by using the garage door opener’s push button to manually open and close the door
- Use your Control Panel to activate the garage door opener
- Your Smart Garage Door Opener will now beep and flash for 5 seconds before the door moves. Be sure to stay clear of the door during this time
Congratulations. The Smart Garage Door Opener is now set up and ready for use.
Troubleshooting your Smart Garage Door Opener
Why does my garage door not completely open or close after I send a command?
If your garage door does not completely open or close after you send a remote command (i.e. through the Control Panel or via the TELUS SmartHome app), the Smart Garage Door Opener will allow you to try and send the command one more time. If the second attempt fails, the device will go into lockout mode.
If your device is in lockout mode, it will not accept any remote commands. Unlock the device by activating the door from the push button wall console instead.
Once you activate the door via the push button wall console, another command cannot be sent for 30 seconds. This eliminates the chance of the garage door “bouncing” and possibly damaging the Smart Garage Door Opener.