Managing additional data charges
Learn about when additional data charges apply, data top-ups, data pay-per-use rates, data usage notifications and the TELUS Data Manager tool
Additional data charges
If the monthly data on your account is used up before the end of your billing cycle, you can purchase additional data by adding a fast pass or data top up or use additional data at the pay-per-use rate (not applicable to endless data plans, like Peace of Mind).
Simple Share and Your Choice shareable data plan pay-per-use data in Canada will be charged at $13/100 MB. Pay-per-use data will be charged on a per-line basis on all multi-subscriber accounts.
If you’re using a Peace of Mind plan, you never have to worry about data overage charges.
Data pay-per-use rates may vary depending on which Mobility plan you are on. Contact us through live chat, email or phone for your plan’s details.
When sharing data or doing heavy data usage activities, like video streaming, your monthly data can get used up quickly. That’s why TELUS has you covered with TELUS Data Manager, which offers a variety of tools to help you avoid additional data charges.
Using data while outside Canada
When travelling in the US or over 150 international destinations with Easy Roam, you will continue to use the same monthly data that you use while you’re in Canada. If you use up all your data you can add a data top-up or pay the same pay-per-use data rate just like when you’re at home.
If you’re travelling to a destination not covered by Easy Roam and have an Explorer roaming pass, you will be charged the pay-per-use data rate for your roaming pass if you use up all the data included in the pass.
Note: If your Explorer Roaming pass does not include data and data roaming is turned on in your mobile device’s setting, your device will likely use data in the background and the standard roaming pay-per-use data rate for your destination will apply.
Without Easy Roam, data used while roaming in the US is charged at $5/MB. Data used while roaming outside Canada and the US varies by destination
To learn more about Easy Roam and roaming data pay-per-use rates, search for your travel destination at telus.com/travel.
Data usage notifications
TELUS will notify you about your monthly data usage and any additional data charges on the account by text message.
Notifications about the monthly data included in your plan
By default, TELUS will notify all devices accessing the shared data on the account when 90% and 100% of the monthly data is used up. If a device is not accessing any shared data, then only the device using the monthly data will be notified.
If you’re using a Peace of Mind plan, only the user of that plan will be notified (since the data is not shareable) when 100% of the included full speed data has been used. You will not be notified before this threshold like users of shareable data plans.
If you’re using Easy Roam while travelling in the US or one of the 150+ international destinations covered, you will continue to receive these same data usage notifications about your monthly data.
If you’re using an Explorer Roaming Pass in a destination not covered by Easy Roam that includes data, we’ll also notify the user of the pass about when they have reached 90% and 100% of the included data.
Notifications about additional data charges
If you exceed the data included in your monthly plan, we'll notify all users on the account when additional data charges from all users on the account reach $20, $50, $100 and every $100 increment after that by default.
If additional data charges across all users on the account ever reach $50 in a monthly billing cycle, pay-per-use data on the account is blocked to prevent further charges.
Similarly, if additional roaming data charges across all users on the account ever reach $100 in a monthly billing cycle, roaming pay-per-use data on the account is blocked to prevent further charges.
If the user is allowed to unblock data, they can reply to the block message and unblock data for all users on the account.
Important things to note:
- Additional data charges that count towards these thresholds include any pay-per-use data and one-time fast pass or data top-up purchases
- Additional roaming data charges that count toward the roaming data thresholds include any roaming pay-per-use data and one-time 30-day data roaming pass purchases
- Roaming pay-per-use data charges will never apply when using Easy Roam since you’re using your monthly data just like when you’re in Canada
- The fees paid to use Easy Roam are not considered to be roaming data charges, so Easy Roam will not trigger blocks or notifications about roaming data charges
- All users will be notified when the total additional data charges across all the users on the account reach these thresholds
- The $20 notification on additional data charges will not communicate the amount as $20 if a purchase of data causes the account to exceed $20
Example: If the account currently has $10 of pay-per-use data charges accumulated and you purchase a $15 data top-up, the initial notification you will receive will communicate $25 instead of $20.
Customizing your data usage notifications
By logging into your account using My TELUS and visiting the Usage section, you can use TELUS Data Manager to:
- Customize when you are notified about your monthly data usage
- Customize when you are notified about any additional data charges on the account and when pay-per-use data on the account is blocked
- Authorize or remove access from certain device users to unblock data when the thresholds for additional data charges are reached
- Customize how you are notified about your data usage, either through text message, email or both
While data usage notifications are close to real-time, usage meters can be delayed by up to 6 hours. Share plans will reflect each person’s usage at various times and are subject to the same delays. All usage information is approximate. Please refer to your monthly invoice for final charges.
Setting data limits, overage protection and turning off data
With our Peace of Mind plans, you never have to worry about data overages ever again. Learn more about our Peace of Mind plans to see if it’s the right option for you.
Still, sharing data across members on your family plan? In addition to managing your data notifications settings, TELUS Data Manager gives you a variety of other tools to manage your account’s monthly data usage.
Simply log in to your account using My TELUS and visit the usage section to access all of these useful tools.
Share data and set limits between family plan members
If you’re sharing data across multiple device users, you can set limits for how much shareable data each device user can use in a monthly billing cycle. This feature helps ensure no single user can use up more than their fair share of data.
- Data limits do not act as an allocation, or specific amount of data set aside for each subscriber, they are an amount of data usage that the subscriber cannot go past.
- Data limits are not available for users on a Peace of Mind Connect plan.
Turn data off and on per plan member to avoid overage charges
If you don’t want a specific device user to use any more data, you can simply toggle off data for that user.
Note: You can toggle data on and off and anytime throughout the month, but data will be toggled back on for all device users when a new billing cycle begins.
Use data overage protection to eliminate pay-per-use charges
If you don’t want certain users to incur any additional data charges through pay-per-use data once all the shareable data on the account is used up, you can simply toggle on Data Overage Protection.
This will ensure no users can incur pay-per-use data charges when they reach their data limit or if all the shareable data on the account is used up.
Get additional help with TELUS Data Manager
TELUS High Speed Internet with Smart Hub data usage
To learn more and obtain information on apps and activities which impact your data usage, you can visit the following support articles:
- If you’re logging into My TELUS online, check out the article What impacts your data usage
- If you need help choosing a plan that better suits your data needs, please visit telus.com/SmartHub
- With help opting into data overage email notification, please visit Message preferences with TELUS Data Manager
1. Log in to My TELUS
2. Select View Mobility usage
3. Select Data usage blocks and notifications > Data Manager