SmartHome Security: Guard Response service explained
Information about Guard response services associated with your TELUS SmartHome Security service
Guard Response service overview
Guard Response is a service which sends a certified and trained guard to your home to verify whether an intrusion alarm is a true event or a false alarm.
Because 99% of intrusion alarms are false, more and more police departments will only dispatch an officer if the intrusion alarm is verified as a true event. Therefore, each and every intrusion alarm must be verified.
The TELUS monitoring station will attempt to verify the intrusion alarm by contacting the customer, starting with 2-way voice to the premise, and then if necessary by phone. At this stage one of three actions will occur:
- If the monitoring station is able to reach someone, and they verify that the intrusion alarm is a false alarm, no further action is taken.
- If the monitoring station is able to reach someone, and they verify that the intrusion alarm is a true event, the local police will be dispatched.
- If the monitoring station is unable to reach someone, or they reach someone but that person is not able to verify whether the intrusion alarm is a true event or a false alarm, a Guard is dispatched to verify the intrusion alarm on behalf of the customer. The TELUS monitoring station will then continue its attempt to verify the intrusion alarm by contacting individuals on the customer’s emergency contact list, and will:
- Cancel the Guard dispatch if anyone verifies that the intrusion alarm is a false alarm, or
- Dispatch the local police if anyone verifies that the intrusion alarm is a true event.
Thus it is important to note that Guard Response does not replace police services. Rather, Guard Response supplements the customer’s ability to verify whether an intrusion alarm is a true event or a false alarm, which is a necessary step required to dispatch police.
NOTE: TELUS monitors additional alarm events (e.g. fire, flood, other environmental, etc.); however Guard Response is only used to verify intrusion alarms.
NOTE: Guard Response is only offered in select areas
Guard Response during an alarm event
The priority responsibility for the Guard is to verify whether the intrusion alarm is a true event or a false alarm - this is accomplished by:
- A complete exterior premise patrol, including the customer grounds surrounding the premise
- Identification of any persons on site
- Inspection of any vehicles found on site
If a Guard confirms the intrusion alarm is a true event, the Guard will:
- Dispatch police, and when appropriate, coordinate with the TELUS monitoring station and/or the customer to address the situation at hand
- If requested by the customer, the Guard can remain on site. Note: there is an incremental charge for this service which the customer must authorize in advance.
Benefits of Guard Response service
Guard Response service provides peace of mind in the form of:
- A guaranteed dispatch: If you or your emergency contacts are not able to verify an intrusion alarm, TELUS’ Guard Response will verify the event, and secure the premise. With Guards available 24/7, 365 days a year, this service provides an additional avenue, above and beyond the emergency contact list, to verify the alarm event.
- An expedited response: Our Guards are always on the roads and ready for dispatch, using their best efforts to arrive at a customer’s premise as soon as reasonably possible. NOTE: We cannot guarantee response times as delays may be outside of the Guards’ control e.g. traffic, weather conditions, etc.
- Saving you money: Many municipalities charge high fees in the event local police are dispatched and the intrusion alarm is shown to be false. As a TELUS SmartHome Security customer, you’ll avoid these charges when a Guard is dispatched prior to the police, as the Guard will verify whether the intrusion alarm is a true event or false alarm, and only engage the police on true events.
- Quality service: Our Guards are trained and certified to meet the highest generally recognized standards and regulations in the industry. GPS-enabled vehicles are deployed to facilitate timely dispatch.
Are there additional charges for this service?
TELUS does not charge for standard Guard Response service. When a Guard is dispatched, the initial site visit will verify whether the intrusion alarm is a true event or a false alarm. This service is included in all TELUS SmartHome Security plans, but only offered in. In the event that the Guard verifies the intrusion alarm to be a true event, the Guard may provide additional services, such as remaining on site. Please note there are fees for this additional service.
Help us improve this article
Please rate your experience