Pik TV app for Sony TV
Learn how to get started with the Pik TV app on your Sony Smart TV.
Features, requirements and restrictions
The Pik TV app is now available for Sony Smart TVs running the Android TV operating system. Now you can watch live TV and access a large On Demand library of TV shows and movies on your Sony TV using your Pik TV subscription.
Requirements and restrictions:
- Subscription to TELUS Internet, Pik TV and live channels is required. Licensing and rights limitations mean that not all programs and channels are available when not connected to your TELUS home internet
- My TELUS username and password are required to log in to this service
- The Pik TV app for Sony TV can only be used in Canada when connected to your TELUS home internet
The Pik TV app is supported on Sony Smart TVs manufactured in 2017 or later, running the Android TV operating system (Android 8/Android Oreo or higher) with at least 1.5 GB of RAM.
This includes individual models under the Sony Bravia VU, VH1, 2K and 4K product lines.
Pik TV app installation steps on your Sony TV
To install the Pik TV app on your Sony TV, you will need to be logged in to the Google Play Store with your Google username and password.
Follow these steps to install the Pik TV app:
- From the Android TV home screen, navigate to the Apps row and open the Google Play Store. Using the Search function (magnifying glass icon), search for Pik TV using the on-screen keyboard or the Google assistant voice search
- Select Install and your download will start
- After your download is complete, select Open to open the Pik TV app
You will need your My TELUS username and password to log in to Pik TV. Don’t have My TELUS? You can register now.
Using the Sony TV remote to control Pik TV
The following is only a representation. Individual remotes may vary between TV models.
- Power button: Turns the Sony TV on or off
- Apps button: Opens up a list of apps installed on your Sony TV without exiting the Pik TV app. Pressing the Back button will close the pop-up
- Google Play: Launches the Google Play Movies app
- Netflix button: Launches the Netflix app
- Guide: During live playback, opens the mini guide. Outside of live or On Demand playback, opens the full guide
- Google Assistant: Launches Google Assistant for voice search with Android TV
- Direction pad or D-pad:
- When browsing the Menu, Home screen, Live TV, On Demand, Guide or Settings: Scrolls left/right/up/down
- When watching live TV: The up and down directions function as channel up and channel down
- Play/pause button: Pauses and resumes On Demand playback, where available
- Middle button on D-pad (OK or Select): When something is highlighted, this button will confirm your selection
- During live or On Demand playback, press this button once to open up the info screen, display the program information or turn on or off the audio accessibility settings (CC for Closed Captioning or AD for Described Video). During On Demand playback, the play/pause button and skip ahead/skip back buttons are also displayed
- During live playback, a second press of this button opens up the live guide
- During On Demand playback, a second press of this button pauses playback. A third press restarts playback
- Back button: Returns you to your previous screen
- Home button: Takes you to the Android TV home screen
- Volume up/down button
- Channel up/down button
- Mute button
- Rewind: Rewinds On Demand playback
- Play: Starts On Demand playback
- Fast forward: Fast forwards On Demand playback where available
- Pause: Pauses On Demand playback. A second press will resume playback
- Display: Opens the information screen during live or On Demand playback. Pressing the Back button will close the pop-up
- Not all buttons on the Sony TV remote are compatible with the Pik TV app and may not respond if pressed when in the Pik app. These include the number pad buttons, DVR, TV, Jump, Audio, Subtitle and Rec buttons. Some buttons are specific to the Sony TV and will function normally when in the Pik TV app. These include Input, Settings and Display
- Pik TV does not currently allow you to pause, rewind or fast forward live TV. Pause, rewind and fast forward are available for On Demand programming at the discretion of the content provider
- To watch Netflix, a subscription is required
Navigate through the Pik TV app
The Pik TV app for Android TV allows you easy access to your content with a navigation menu on the left-hand side of your screen.
You can use the search function to find a movie, TV series or cast member. If searching for a movie or TV series, your search results will include both live and On Demand viewing options for your title.
If searching for a specific cast member, your search results will provide a list of available live or On Demand titles where that cast member appeared.
From the Home screen, you can see what’s On now on live TV, Resume your On Demand programming, browse Highlights and Favourites or view your recent Purchases.
All Pik TV customers have access to the live and On Demand content included in their subscription. Some channels are only available when connected to your home TELUS Internet service due to content provider restrictions. Live TV will show you what’s on now by category.
During live TV playback, you can press the middle button of the D-pad on your Sony TV remote control once to bring up the program information screen and turn on closed captioning (CC) or described video (AD). A second press of this button will bring up a live guide where you can see what’s on now, what’s coming up and change channels without stopping live playback.
To change channels in live TV playback mode, you can use the channel up/down buttons or the up and down buttons on the D-pad of your Sony TV remote.
All Pik TV customers have access to the live and On Demand content included in their subscription, as well as a selection of On Demand movies available for rental. You can browse by Featured titles, TV Shows, Movies, Kids, Channels and more.
Note: You can pause, rewind or fast forward On Demand TV content, but these features may be disabled on select programming by the content provider. You can pause, rewind or fast forward On Demand movies available for rental.
In the Guide section, you can see what’s playing today on the channels that are available to you on this device.
You can also filter your guide by selecting the filter icon in the top left-hand corner of your screen.
- Filtering by channels: My subscribed channels will display all of the channels that you have in your Pik TV subscription. All Channels will display all of the channels that are available with Pik TV and Playable on this device will display all of the channels that you are subscribed to and can watch on this device. Please note that some channels are only available when connected to your TELUS home internet connection
- Filtering by category: You may choose All Channels, Music, Children, News or Sports. Only the channels within these categories will be displayed
You may also browse the guide for any day up to 10 days in the future by selecting the calendar icon in the top left-hand corner of your screen.
Selecting Settings will allow you to set your closed captioning and audio description settings, see your app and version information and account info or logout from the Pik TV app.
Selecting Exit will close the Pik TV app and return you to the Android TV home screen.