Internet 300 Mbps or lower
How to test your internet speed if you have a 300 Mbps or lower speed plan
How to test your internet speed
Use the tool below to test the internet speed to your device.
If you have a T3200 advanced modem or TELUS Wi-Fi Hub download the TELUS My Wi-Fi app to test your internet speed to your modem.
For internet 500 Mbps or higher speed plans, follow these steps to test your internet speed.
Is your internet speed slower than expected? Your device, connection type, and home set-up can affect your speed results. If there’s a poor connection between your device and the modem, or if your device is not capable of achieving your subscribed speed, you may not see accurate speed test results.
If you can’t download the TELUS My Wi-Fi app, you may need to optimize your set-up to get the most accurate results. Follow the directions below:
- Check the maximum wireless speed of the device with its manufacturer
- Use the newest laptop or desktop computer that you have to connect to your TELUS modem via a wired connection
- If you need to connect using a wireless device, stand close to the modem to ensure you have a good signal
- Pause all other internet activities on all of your devices in the home. (You can use TELUS My Wi-Fi app to pause single devices or groups of devices.)
Want to learn more about why your Wi-Fi may be slow and how to improve it? Watch this short video below:
I need a faster internet connection
If your current Internet plan is delivering its stated speed but is still too slow for your needs, consider upgrading your plan.
A faster plan will allow you to stream and download high-quality video content and music, download and backup files and monitor your home on multiple devices such as smart TVs, mobile devices, computers and security systems.
If you are only experiencing slow speeds in certain areas of your home that are located farther away from your modem, TELUS Boost Wi-Fi can expand your Wi-Fi coverage area.
How can I get better results?
- To get the most accurate results, download and use TELUS My Wi-Fi app to check speeds between the TELUS network and your home. This will help you determine if there are any issues with your Wi-Fi or if there is anything outside the home affecting your speeds. Learn how to optimize your Wi-Fi
- Performing a test over Wi-Fi may produce lower than expected results. Every device has a different maximum Wi-Fi speed, which can limit the test results to a certain speed. For more information, please visit Wi-Fi performance explained
- Do not download, upload, use a VPN (virtual private network) or browse the web while conducting your speed test. This can lead to lower results
Understanding your internet speed test results
Internet speed refers to how quickly information can be transmitted back and forth from the internet to your computer. Internet speeds are measured in Mbps (Megabits per second)
Download speed is how quickly information is transmitted from the internet to your computer. This speed impacts activities like downloading, patching video games, watching videos, and streaming music on the web
Upload speed is how quickly information is sent from your computer to the internet. This includes file sharing, syncing photos, cloud back-ups and more
Ping is your connection's reaction time of your connection. A lower ping means a more responsive connection, which is ideal for online gaming. However, depending on the physical location or configuration of a given server (where websites and games are hosted), this number may vary
Did this article solve your problem?
Still have questions? Ask the TELUS community
Connect with the TELUS community and get answers from other customers on our forum, the TELUS Neighbourhood.