Installing your Automation Hub
Quick installation guide as well as troubleshooting steps.
Quick start guide download (PDF)
To install your Automation Hub, make sure you have the following in addition to the included equipment:
- Broadband internet connection
- Available Ethernet port on your internet gateway or modem (pick your most central internet device)
Installing your Automation Hub
Before powering up your Automation Hub, follow the step-by-step guide included inside the box or at the bottom of the page to begin the installation of your Automation Hub.
Don’t have the app or having trouble logging in? Learn how to log in to your TELUS SmartHome Security account.
Where to place your Automation Hub
Choosing the location of your Automation Hub is an important decision because the rest of the system will be designed and tested to work with the device in that location. Any movement of the Automation Hub after the installation should be kept to a minimum.
Here are some tips for selecting the location of your Automation Hub:
✓ Make sure this is a central location in the home in an open space (not enclosed by concrete walls)
✓ Your Automation Hub should be in close proximity to a power outlet and your gateway or modem
Note: If you are experiencing connectivity problems after your installation, double check your Automation Hub has not been moved. If yes, make sure the Automation Hub is relocated back to the original location and see if this resolves your issues.
If you are still experiencing issues or have questions regarding your installation, please call TELUS at 1-855-255-8828.
Troubleshooting your Automation Hub
Connect your Automation Hub:
- Let’s start by connecting your power
- Next, connect your Ethernet cable. Connect one end of the Ethernet cable to the Automation Hub
- Connect the other end to your internet gateway or modem
- Install a switch as necessary (if you do not have any available Ethernet ports on your modem). Connect the switch to power
- Connect one end of the ethernet cable that comes with the switch to the modem
- Connect the other end to the switch. Plug in your Automation Hub’s ethernet cable to the switch
- Wait for the communication LED (next to the cloud-shaped symbol) to turn solid. You can now start pairing your Z-Wave devices
If you are having issues pairing your Z-Wave devices, or if your devices have stopped responding, do the following:
- Power cycle your Automation Hub
This will reboot the Automation Hub without impacting the devices that are already paired.
Unplug the Automation Hub’s power cable for 10 seconds, then plug it back in, to power cycle the device. Wait for the communication LEDs to become solid again before further using the device.
- Factory reset your Automation Hub
If power cycling your Automation Hub does not resolve your issue, you can factory reset your Automation Hub.
Warning: You will need to re-pair all of your Z-Wave devices to the Automation Hub again.
Using a paper clip or other thin instrument, press and hold the R button for 30 seconds to factory reset the device.
All the LEDs will blink simultaneously then turn solid.