Find answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ) related to the ADT system.
I already have an ADT system that isn’t being monitored, but want to activate it.
If you currently have an ADT system, setting up monitoring can be quick and easy. We may not even have to visit your home. For a system in good condition, we can usually communicate with the system’s control panel right from our offices. This means your home will be protected immediately. Just complete this form and a security expert will contact you with more information on activating your system. Or call us at 1-855-958-8181.
I have a security system from another company that isn’t being monitored and want to activate it with ADT.
ADT monitors most types of security systems and can evaluate the installed system prior to activation at your convenience. Just complete this form and a security expert will contact you to book an appointment for a free evaluation, no obligation.
Or call us at 1-855-958-8181 to discuss. You can also use the evaluation to add a number of popular options or customize your security and/or home automation system.
I want to cancel my phone landline. What do I need to do?
Good news, with ADT you do not require a landline. Our systems can use cellular to communicate with our monitoring stations.
If you currently have cellular as your primary communication, a landline is not required and you do not need to contact ADT.
If you currently have cellular as your backup communication, a technician will be needed to adjust your programming to one of the following two options.
- Some telephone providers offer a low-voltage line. This is often cheaper in price, and will allow your system to function
- Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), is an option provided by most internet providers. This is a low-cost alternative to a regular landline that will also support your security system. See below for a list of ADT-approved VoIP providers:
- Coop Arrière-Pays (C CAP) for installations dated after June 2009
- Cable Axion
- Dery Telcom
If you are interested in converting your systems to cellular only, please call us at 1-855-958-8181. Then press option 2 for "To test your system or to report trouble with your alarm panel" and then press option 1 for "Help using your system".
If there’s a problem, can ADT turn my system off?
No, your system is an independent unit and can only be turned off at the control panel from your end.
My Alarm.com video cameras are not capturing new clips. Why not?
Follow these simple steps to make sure your Alarm.com account is recording new video clips:
- Log in to your account and delete old video clips. You might have reached your monthly limit of video clips storage capacity
- Check your video-capture automation rules to make sure you are not capturing a large amount of unnecessary video clips. For example, are you capturing video clips every time the motion detector is triggered? Instead, consider changing this rule to "Take a video clip each time my motion detector is triggered and my system is armed"
- You also have the option to increase your video recording capacity for an additional fee. If you are interested in this option, please call our Phone Sales team at 1-855-958-8181
There is an end-of-life sticker on my life safety device (smoke, carbon monoxide or heat sensor). Do I need to change my device when I reach this date?
The date on the end-of-life sticker is the recommended end-of-life date from the manufacturer for that life safety device. We recommend that you contact ADT once your life safety device reaches its end-of-life date. If your device is beeping prior to its end-of-life date, please call us because the device might need to be changed earlier.
What if my system isn’t working properly?
We’re happy to investigate any problems you’re having with your equipment. Just call us at 1-855-958-8181.