The Trade-In Program lets you trade your used device for a credit you can apply towards a new phone. This program is available to all new and existing TELUS customers.
What you need to know
- The trade-in value of your device will be determined based on its condition and FMV (Fair Market Value), after an in-store appraisal.
- You can trade in one device per subscriber for credit at the time of new activation, upgrade or renewal.
- No minimum contract term is required.
- To receive full trade-in credit, your device must be in working condition, with its battery and battery cover included.
- Trade-in credit is non-transferable and has zero cash value.
- Trade-in credit must be redeemed in-store at the time of device trade-in. Unused credit is relinquished once you leave the store.
- Trade-in credit must first be applied toward the cost of any new phone. Any remaining credit can then be used toward accessories only.
- All mobile devices, batteries, and accessories intended for recycling can be dropped off at participating Trade-In locations in any quantity, at any time. Recycled items will not be issued trade-in credits and do not require an activation or renewal transaction for drop off.
- All trades are final. Once you've traded-in a device, it cannot be reclaimed.
- You can trade in any mobile device, from any mobile carrier worldwide, with the exception of Smart Hubs and routers.
Before you begin
Before you trade in your device, you'll want to prepare it so your account and personal information are protected.
Step 1: Deactivate “Reactivation Lock”
If you have a Samsung device with “Reactivation Lock” switched on, you must switch this feature off before trading in your phone.
Follow the instructions for your device type below.
- From the Home screen , tap Apps
- From Apps , select Settings
- Navigate to Security to find Reactivation Lock. Ensure there is no green check mark.
Reactivation Lock has been disabled.
Step 2: Disable TELUS services on your device
Depending on the network-type used by your device, do the following to disable TELUS services on your device and protect your TELUS account:
4G - If your mobile device uses the 4G network, all you need to do is remove your TELUS SIM card from the device you intend to trade-in. In most cases, your old SIM card will work with your new phone.
3G - If your mobile device uses the 3G network, you can do one of the following:
- Visit a Product Care Centre. Use our Store Locator to find the closest location. You can have your device deactivated at the time of trade-in.
- Contact us to have your device deactivated.
Step 3: Remove your memory card
Remember to remove your memory card (micro-SD) from your device if it has one. Memory cards are typically black in color, and about half the size of a SIM card.
Step 4: Reset your device to its original factory settings
Protect your privacy and reset your device to its original factory settings. Resetting your device deletes your ringtones, contacts, pictures, messages, and other downloaded content.
To reset your device to its original factory settings:
- From the Home screen, tap Menu
- Tap Settings
- Select Privacy
- Select Factory data reset
- Place a check mark next to Format USB storage if you would like to wipe your Micro SD card while resetting your device
- Tap Reset phone
- Tap Erase everything
- From the Home screen, tap Apps
- From Apps , select Settings
- Navigate to Backup and reset and select Factory data reset
- Enter the Samsung account password
- Tap Delete all and the device will reboot
How to trade in your used device