Troubleshooting Optik TV audio issues
Use our easy to follow step-by-step guide to fix common Optik TV audio issues
Fix TV audio problems with personalized troubleshooting tools
Quickly solve Optik TV audio issues by using our personalized troubleshooting experience. Log in to My TELUS to try it.
Interactive step-by-step guide for fixing common audio issues
Troubleshoot and fix sound issues
No audio: check that your TV is set to output sound to the correct device (usually, your TV's speaker), make sure all devices are turned on and all cables are plugged in correctly, then check that the volume is up on both the TV and your TELUS PVR.
Garbled or sporadic sound: Garbled or missing sound is sometimes caused by a defective HDMI cable or other audio cable configuration. Check the cables. Try rebooting your Telus box.
Out-of-sync audio and video: This is usually caused by other equipment. Refer to the manuals for your audio receiver, soundbar, or speaker system. Temporarily switching the audio output to your TV's built-in speaker is a good way to check that it's not a TELUS Optik TV problem.
Other issues: If you haven't already done so, please review the troubleshooting steps in this guide to help resolve TELUS Optik TV audio problems, Optik TV audio, aspect ratio, 4k, sound bar, Optik TV sound problems, stereo, Optik TV audio issues, Optik TV audio not working, surround sound, no sound Optik TV, volume control, or sound system connection issues.
If the problem occurs on every channel, please proceed with the following steps:
- Ensure that the HDMI cable and any other cables (optical, RCA stereo, etc.) are properly plugged in. Please disconnect and reconnect them to ensure a good connection
- Ensure that the audio of the TV or audio device is turned on (for example, check that the equipment is not on mute)
- Ensure that the audio settings of your personal equipment (TV, home theatre, amplifier, soundbar, etc.) are configured properly, if applicable. If necessary, you can refer to the manufacturer’s manual for your personal equipment to learn more about possible configurations
- Go to a standard definition (SD) channel (e.g. channel 3) and then back to a high definition (HD) channel (e.g. channel 503)
If the checks above are inconclusive, check the sound options on your TELUS set-top box:
- Menu / Settings / Audio / Digital audio output
- Try changing the audio mode and then changing it back to the desired mode (e.g. change stereo sound to surround sound, save, then change it back to the initial mode and save again)
- Check to see if the sound is now working after this change
If you are using an HDMI cable, also check the aspect ratio (picture size and shape) configured on your set-top box:
- Menu / Settings / TV / Screen aspect ratio
- Try changing the selected format and then changing it back to the desired format (e.g. change the format from 1080p to 720p, save, then change it back to the initial format and save again)
If you continue to experience the issue:
Restart the equipment affected by the issue: PVR and/or wireless set-top box (refer to the article Reboot your Digital Box)
Also, please refer to this section if you are using an HDMI cable and the audio problem persists (see the article HDMI troubleshooting)
If the problem persists after these troubleshooting steps, please contact the technical support team at 310-1212.