What is VoLTE?
VoLTE (Voice over LTE) is the next evolution in wireless calling. It allows customers with a compatible phone to place and receive calls over the TELUS LTE network instead of the HSPA network.
Most TELUS customers with devices that are VoLTE-enabled can automatically take advantage of VoLTE, once your device has been updated with the latest software. All of your calls will be seamlessly carried over the TELUS LTE network as long as you are in a VoLTE-capable LTE coverage area.
With VoLTE you’ll get:
- Simultaneous use of voice and LTE data
- High definition sound quality when calling another VoLTE-enabled device
- Faster call setup time
- More innovative solutions, as customers will have access to next generation services
Previously, data was carried over LTE when you weren't on a voice call. If you were on a voice call, then your data was transmitted using the slower 3G speeds. Now with VoLTE, your data will be carried over LTE even when you’re on a voice call.
How do I use VoLTE?
Making a VoLTE call is simple. To make or receive a VoLTE call, you'll need to:
- Use a VoLTE-compatible phone (most devices sold by TELUS after 2018 are VoLTE capable)
- Be on a Postpaid account to use VoLTE (currently VoLTE is not available on Prepaid accounts)
- Be in a VoLTE-enabled coverage area
Where is VoLTE available?
VoLTE is available across Canada.
VoLTE E911 is available in all VoLTE enabled areas. In areas where VoLTE E911 is not available, customers are still able to make standard 911 calls.
How to activate LTE/VoLTE on your mobile device
How to enable LTE/VoLTE on an Apple device
To enable LTE on an iPhone or an iPad running iOS 13 and later:
- Go to Settings
- Select Cellular
- Select Cellular data options
- Select Voice & data
- Select LTE, VoLTE on
Note: iPhone users with iOS 12 or older releases can enable VoLTE through Settings > Cellular > Cellular data options > Enable LTE > Voice & data.
How to enable LTE/VoLTE on an Android device
On Android, the settings vary slightly from one model to another and to one Android operating system to another. Below you will find the most common settings found to enable LTE.
|BlackBerry||KEY2 LE||Android 8.1.0||Settings > Network & internet > Cellular networks > Preferred network type > Select LTE/WCDMA/GSM > Switch on VoLTE |
|Google||Pixel 4||Android 10||Settings > Network & internet > Mobile network > Preferred network type > Select LTE (recommended) > Switch on VoLTE |
|Huawei||P30||Android 10||Settings > Mobile network > Mobile data > Preferred network mode > Select LTE/WCDMA/GSM auto > Switch on VoLTE calls|
|LG||G8X ThinQ||Android 9.0||Settings > Network & internet > Mobile networks > Network mode > Select GSM / WCDMA / LTE auto > Switch on VoLTE|
|Moto||G7 Play||Android 9.0||Settings > Network & internet > Mobile network > Advanced > Preferred network type > Select LTE (recommended) > Switch on VoLTE|
|Samsung||Galaxy A71||Android 10||Settings > Connections > Mobile networks > Network mode > Select LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect) > Switch on VoLTE calls|
Alternatively or if none of these options apply to you, visit the Mobility support section for self-serve emulators/simulators to explain how to enable LTE.
- Select your OEM and device model
- Select Go to my device
- Select Wi-Fi, data and connected devices
- Select Accessing mobile network settings
- Follow the instructions on the simulator to enable LTE
Do I have to pay more for using VoLTE?
No. All your voice usage will be billed according to your TELUS plan, so you won't be using any of your monthly data allowance.
Does VoLTE use up my data?
No. Making voice calls with VoLTE will be treated as a regular voice call and will not affect your data usage.
Can I roam with VoLTE?
VoLTE Roaming services are now available in the US and select international countries enabling TELUS customers to place and receive calls over the LTE network. If there is no VoLTE coverage or if customers don’t have a VoLTE enabled device, customers will continue roaming on the HSPA network.
- VoLTE Roaming rates will be the same as current HSPA Roaming rates
- Some short-codes and toll-free numbers may not work while Roaming
- While Roaming internationally, customers are recommended to use “plus dialling” for making local and international calls. Dial plus (+) followed by country code and the number
For example, to make local calls while roaming in Japan (Country Code = 81), dial + (by long-pressing 0) followed by 81, i.e. +81-XXXXX-XXXXX. To make calls back to Canada (Country Code = 1), dial + followed by 1, i.e. +1-XXX-XXX-XXXX.