Android Next-Gen Messaging explained
Learn about the new Rich Communication Services for Android smartphones
Rich Communication Services (RCS) is the next generation messaging technology that improves messaging by offering a native, richer and universal experience across networks and Android devices.
On select Android devices, Next-Gen Messaging gives you chat messaging features in select conversations, including:
- Group chats
- Read and delivered receipts
- High-resolution photo and video sharing
- Audio messaging
- Share location
What you need
Next-Gen Messaging is available on:
- A TELUS wireless monthly plan with data, or an active Wi-Fi connection.
- A Samsung smartphone running Android 9.0 (Pie) and up with latest version
- Any other Android smartphone running Android 5.1 (Lollipop) and up with latest version
- A TELUS Consumer or Business/Corporate accounts
Note: Please check ourfor more information on how to use Next-Gen Messaging on your device.
How to turn on
- Open Messages
- Select Settings
- Select Chat features/settings
- Tap or slide Enable chat features/Rich Communications settings to On
Note: When Next-Gen Messaging is provisioned for the first time on a compatible device, you will be prompted to turn on chat features when opening Messages.
How to use
When chat features are turned on, it will automatically be used if you are messaging another device with chat features enabled. This includes customers with compatible devices across our Koodo and Public Mobile brands, across major national Canadian Operators (Bell, Rogers, Freedom Mobile), across any Operator in US/UK/France/Mexico, and more than 100 Operators worldwide. For more information on global launches, please visit GSMA site.
Next-Gen Messaging sends messages over Wi-Fi or cellular data when Wi-Fi is unavailable, rather than through traditional SMS. This means, if you do not have a data plan and are not connected to Wi-Fi, your messages will be sent as SMS, or you may incur pay-per-use data charges when using Next-Gen Messaging.
If you only want to use Next-Gen Messaging in a Wi-Fi connected area, please ensure you turn chat features off when leaving a Wi-Fi connected area to avoid unexpected data charges.