Before you select your devices for your TELUS SmartHome system, check to ensure they’ll work at your home.
Smart Radio Thermostat or Nest Learning Thermostat
These thermostats are designed to control low-voltage (24V) systems only (forced air, radiant heat, furnaces and boilers). They won’t work with high-voltage (110 to 240V) systems (e.g. baseboard heaters). To determine if your system is compatible, check the following:
- If you have 2 - 4 thick stranded wires emerging from your existing thermostat, it is a high-voltage system and not compatible. (Only high-voltage thermostats have thick stranded wires coming out of the thermostat itself; low-voltage thermostats do not have wires coming out of the thermostat.)
- Open your existing thermostat cover. If you see labels reading 110VAC, 115VAC, 120VAC or 240VAC, then it is a high-voltage system and not compatible.
For further information on whether the Nest Learning Thermostat works in your home, visit the Nest website.
Wi-Fi Outdoor Doorbell Camera
The Wi-Fi Outdoor Doorbell Camera works with either an existing mechanical or digital doorbell. Wireless chimes and intercom systems are not supported.
To determine which type of doorbell chime you have:
- If it has a metal bar and a striker pin, it is mechanical.
- If it has a speaker and is wired (i.e. no batteries) it is digital.
- If it has a battery compartment, it is wireless and not supported.
- If it has a speaker, it is digital. Otherwise, it is a wireless chime.