About Group picture and video messaging
- Group Messaging is the ability to send and receive Text, Picture or Video messages between multiple users in a group conversation using Picture and Video messaging.
Note: Any Group Message whether delivered in text or picture is recognized as a Picture and Video message
- Some Android phones may also support Group Picture and Video messaging Messaging
Note: Check your device user guide to see if group Picture and Video messaging is supported
How it works
- When the sender composes a message, multiple recipients are selected
- All of these selected recipients will receive the message
Note: Users who do not have Group Messaging enabled will receive it as a normal Picture and Video message, if these users reply, it will only go to the original sender.
- When any of the recipients with Group Messaging enabled reply, it will reply to all.
Note: If a user does not have the Group Message functionality reply option, it will only go to the original sender.
- Functionality is enabled between Android and iOS users
- Group messaging is enabled by default in the Hangouts app for compatible devices
- Compatibility varies by manufacturer and device models (e.g. available on Samsung Galaxy S5 and Samsung Galaxy S7 but not on Samsung Galaxy S6 – This is a manufacturer restriction)
- Android devices on software version 6.0 and up (Android Marshmallow) that have Group Messaging capability will have the feature on by default.
- Compatible with all models on TELUS network running iOS 9.3 or newer with Carrier Bundle TELUS 24.1 or newer
- The feature will be introduced and enabled by default with the roll out of next software update
- Picture and Video messaging capability must be enabled for all users for group messaging to work
- All user’s device must have Group Message function and enabled. See below.
Enable/Disable Group Messaging
- Select Messaging
- Select More
- Select Settings
- Select More Settings
- Select Multimedia Messages
- Select Group Conversation
- Turn On or Off
Note: These steps may differ slightly depending on the make, model and software version.
- Select Settings
- Select Messages
- Select MMS Messaging
- Select Group Message
- Turn toggle to On or Off