Features, requirements and restrictions
Watch live TV and access a huge On Demand library of TV shows, movies and documentaries on your iOS phone or tablet.
OPTIK TV offers a wide range of channels for you to watch, whether you're home or away. Some channels are only accessible from home and require a connection to TELUS Internet services. The number of available channels may differ depending on your geographical location. To see what channels are available, please visit telus.com/OptikApp.
Requirements and restrictions
- An OPTIK TV subscription is required. You must have a monthly TELUS home Internet plan to enjoy all of the app’s features
- Espace Client (My TELUS) username and password is required to log in to this service
- The app can only be used in Canada on select devices within wireless network coverage areas. Data charges may apply for mobile service outside Wi-Fi coverage
- Airplay is not supported due to content provider restrictions
Below is the list of officially supported Apple devices, though you may be able to use the app on devices not listed.
Supported iOS devices (iOS 11.1 and later)
- Apple iPad Air, Air 2, Mini 3, Mini 4, new iPad (2017, 2018), Pro 9.7”, Pro 10.5”, Pro 12.9”
- Apple iPhones 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XR, iPhone XS Max
Devices not supported
- Devices running iOS11 or lower
- iPhone 5SE
- iPad Mini 2
Note: iPhone X, XS, XR, XS Max playback is available but will not go full screen. We are currently working on a resolution for a future release.
Install the Optik TV app
Please visit the App Store on your Apple device to download the Optik TV app:
To log in, you must use your Espace client (My TELUS) username & password to log in. Don’t have Espace client (My TELUS)?
Most content is available in 720P. However, some live channels are available in 1080P. We are working towards adding more high quality content soon.
Note: 4K content is not available.
Closed captioning and described video can be turned on for any program or movie that the content providers have enabled them on.
How to turn on closed captioning (CC) or described video (AD)
During live or VOD playback: When watching live or on demand, tap the gear icon in the top right corner. Then select Closed captioning and/or audio description to turn it on. To turn it off, tap it again.
Through more section: On the bottom bar select More. Tap Closed captioning and/or audio description to turn it on. To turn it off, tap it again.
Navigate through the Optik TV iOS app
The updated app allows you easy access to your content from any screen with the addition of bottom bar navigation available on all screens.
- On the bottom bar select Search
- Enter the movie, TV series or cast name you are looking for
- TV series or movie: Select the title you are looking for and it will bring you to the series or movie page which includes both live and on demand options for your title
- Cast search: Will provide a list of available live or on demand titles
On the Series page for a TV program you can see all available On Demand and live programming.
- All Optik TV customers have access to the live and On Demand content included in their subscription, as long as it is available on the go
- Licensing and rights limitations mean that not all programs and channels are available to watch on the go
- Some channels are only available when connected to your home TELUS Internet service due to content provider restrictions
- You cannot rewind, pause or fast forward a live program at this time
From any screen select the Guide button on the bottom bar to bring up the guide. The channels you are subscribed to will appear.
There are 3 channel views available, you can use the Filter by menu option (under All categories) to choose the view that you prefer.
- Playable on this device (default): Includes all channels in your package that are playable on the device
- Subscribed: Includes all channels in your package, though not all may be playable on your device.
- All channels: Includes all channels available on Optik TV, including those you are not subscribed to. You can visit telus.com/myaccount to subscribe to the additional channels
Navigate through the Live guide
Scroll through the grid guide or use the date picker to move to early dates.
Select On now
Select the date and time you want to view
The guide will move to the date and time you have selected. To choose another time, scroll horizontally through the guide
Changing channels during live playback
During playback you are able to change channels by using a mini guide accessible by selecting info:
On now and the next program are available in the mini guide.
To change channels, scroll vertically and select the program you wish to watch.
On Demand programming
You are able to access all On Demand programming that is part of your subscription and available on the go.
TV shows On Demand: You can pause, fast forward or rewind On Demand TV content, but the features may be disabled on select programming by the provider.
Movies On Demand: You can rewind, pause or fast forward a movie On Demand.
Rent or purchase an On Demand movie
At this time, you are not able to rent On Demand titles on Apple devices. Rentals purchased on your Media Box, Android device or browser at telus.com/watchOptik, can be watched on your Apple device.
Binge watching bar
The Optik iOS binge bar will allow you to watch your series uninterrupted or jump between episodes.
To choose another episode in the same season, select Episodes during playback.
When the binge prompt to go to the next episode will pop up on your playback screen, you can choose to jump to the new episode by selecting the play button or dismissing by selecting X.
|"Sorry, playback is only available when you are connected to your TELUS Internet network at home."||Some channels are only available when connected to your TELUS Internet network at home due to content provider restrictions.|
|"Your account is in use on too many devices. To watch, please stop playback on another device."||You will need to stop playback on one of the devices as too many non-digital box devices are actively streaming via the Optik TV app concurrently.|
Below is a list of known issues that we are working on resolving.
|LP1008 error when logging in when logging in with My TELUS account.||If you receive this message, attempt to log in an hour later as issue should have resolved. If you are still seeing the message, reach out to our Technical Support team so we can work to address the playback.|
|Multiple TV services||If you use your Espace client (My TELUS) login information to manage several OPTIK TV services, the OPTIK TV app will be associated with your account as the primary account. We can help you change the primary account or even create an Espace client account for each OPTIK TV service to take full advantage of the app.|