Speak with one of our experts
Learn more about TELUS Health Companion and get assistance choosing the right plan for you or your loved one.
Your questions answered
The TELUS Health Companion app helps connect your Apple Watch to our Central Monitoring Station for live operator support.
Customers must meet all of the following criteria:
- Has a post-paid TELUS Mobility plan
- Has an iPhone 6S or above, with the latest iOS installed
- Requires an Apple Watch series 4 or higher with GPS + Cellular Connectivity
No, if you have a cellular-enabled Apple Watch with a data connect / share plan, or if you can connect to WiFi, our Central Monitoring Station will be notified of medical alerts.
The TELUS Health Companion app, like all apps, relies on the Apple Watch and iPhone to be working - i.e charged, in network coverage area.
When outside of Canada, our Central Monitoring Service will not be able to call you as International Roaming is not supported by Apple for the Apple Watch.
You can add TELUS Health Companion service to an existing qualified Apple Watch, as long as the Apple Watch is paired to your personal iPhone (i.e. the Watch and iPhone must share the same phone number). For instance, in the scenario where your daughter gives you an Apple Watch that is paired to her iPhone, you cannot add TELUS Health Companion service to that Apple Watch. The iPhone and the Apple Watch must be tied to the same account.
By overlaying TELUS Health Companion on this existing design, customers will be able to connect with a live operator, providing added peace of mind and the comfort of human interaction during a medical emergency.
Normally, you’ll leave your Apple Watch on all of the time, but if you need to turn it off, press and hold the side button until the sliders appear, then drag the Power Off slider to the right. For more information, visit: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/watch/apd748b87e2a/7.0/watchos/7.0
Apple Watch contains components and radios that emit electromagnetic fields. Apple Watch, some of the bands, the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Cable, the MagSafe Duo Charger, and the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock contain magnets. These electromagnetic fields and magnets may interfere with medical devices, such as pacemakers and defibrillators. For more information, visit: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/watch/apdcf2ff54e9/7.0/watchos/7.0
Yes, the TELUS Health Companion app is free and available for download from the Apple App Store. However, you will need to subscribe to the service in order use the app properly.
On the Home Screen of the TELUS Health Companion app, you will see a big green button with the description "Call TELUS Emergency Support". Tap the button to reach one of our trained operators.
While not all Apple Watch faces support apps, or "complications", here are some that do:
- Activity analog
- Activity digital
- Infography Modular
TELUS Health Companion leverages the GPS functionality that is built into your Apple Watch. As long as you are in Canada where there is cellular service, your watch should be able to pick up your location coordinates.
You will also have ensure your location services setting “allows” TELUS Health Companion to use your location.
If you require emergency support, the operator will be able to dispatch first responders to your location. Rest assured that the operator will always attempt to verify your location verbally first before dispatching first responders to your GPS coordinates.
The easiest way to download the TELUS Health Companion app is to download it to your iPhone first, as by default, apps on your iPhone that have a watchOS app available are automatically installed and appear on the Home Screen.
To download the TELUS Health Companion app on your iPhone, go to the App Store and search for TELUS Health Companion, then download to your phone. The corresponding Apple Watch app will also install on the watch. If you do not see the corresponding TELUS Health Companion app on your Apple Watch, check that the latest Apple Watch O/S is installed.
Your username and password the same as your MyTELUS account. If you do not have your own MyTELUS account please create on t.com or please contact 1-888-505-8002 if you need support.
- Enable all permissions (Fall Detection and Fall Detection sharing, location, Apple Health Kit, notifications) to ensure the app and our Central Monitoring
- Station have all of your information on-hand in case of emergency
- Add the TELUS Health Companion help button on your Watch face (link to separate Q for instructions)
- download the latest version of the App and Apple Watch operating system when prompted
You will need to call into TELUS customer support which will ensure that a) you are set up for the TELUS Health Companion service b) you have TELUS.com login credentials set up . These login credentials are needed as part of the TELUS Health Companion app onboarding process. Our representative will also remind you to download the TELUS Health Companion app.
As part of TELUS Health Companion app onboarding, you will be required to enter at least one Emergency Contact, which you can copy from your iPhone contacts.
You may have set up emergency contacts as well as part of your existing Apple Medical ID, however, the TELUS Health Companion app is unable to copy that information over.
If you entered your age when you set up your Apple Watch or in the TELUS Health Companion app and you’re age 55 and over, this feature is turned on by default. However, anyone 18 years and older can also turn on fall detection on Apple Watch SE and Apple Watch Series 4 and later by following these steps:
Open the Settings app on your Apple Watch.
Go to SOS > Fall Detection, then turn on Fall Detection.
Note: If you turn off wrist detection, Apple Watch SE and Apple Watch Series 4 and later won’t automatically make an emergency call even after it has detected a hard impact fall.
You can also open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, tap My Watch, tap Emergency SOS, then turn on Fall Detection.
For more information visit: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/watch/apd34c409704/7.0/watchos/7.0
You can add special features—called complications—to some watch faces. For the TELUS Health Companion app, adding a complication will enable you to more quickly connect to the TELUS Health Companion Central Monitoring Station if help is needed.
Open the "Watch" app on your iPhone and tap on the "Face Gallery" tab at the bottom of your screen
Pick a compatible Watch face. A few examples include: Infograph, Infograph Modular, Utility, X-Large.
Scoll down to the "Complications" section and select the location (if applicable) where you would like the shortcut displayed.
Scroll down the list to select “TELUS Health Companion”
At the top of the page, tap the “ADD” button complete set up.
For more information, visit: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/watch/apda6559ad78/watchos
If you have the TELUS Health Companion app complication installed on your Apple Watch face (recommended, see: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/watch/apda6559ad78/watchos, simply tap the icon, then click to call number.
If you do not have the TELUS Health Companion app complication installed on your Apple Watch face, you will need to
- Find and open the TELUS Health Companion app
- Press the "call TELUS emergency support" button
Managing your account
We're sorry to see you go. If you would like to cancel your TELUS Health Companion service, you will have to call into 1-888-505-8002 for agent support. Simply deleting the app will not stop the service or billing.
In the TELUS Health Companion app
- Click on the "Profile" button on the top LH corner of the screen
- You will see a section for Emergency Contacts. Tap on one to update the record.
- that you are subscribed to the TELUS Health Companion service
- that your Apple Watch has the latest Watch operating system installed.
- that you are using your own log in credentials.
- The emergency contacts section in the TELUS Health Companion app was not set up properly (must enter at least one or acknowledge that none exist) If you are still having problems, please contact 1-888-505-8002 for support.
- Your Apple Watch is paired with the iPhone
- Your iPhone and Apple Watch have the latest operating system installed
- The Watch app on your iPhone has "automatic App Install" turned on (can be found under the "General" section)
- In the Watch app on your iPhone, you can see all apps already installed on the Apple Watch, and also view Available Apps that can be installed on your Watch. If the TELUS Companion Health app is displayed under "Available Apps", tap on the "Install" button to install on your Apple Watch
- If the above steps are not working, please restart your iPhone and Watch, to ensure they are synched properly
- If step 5 does not work, remove and re-install the TELUS Health Companion app and retry step 4.
The fall detection functionality of the Apple Watch is set to capture "hard falls", identified by factors including impact, trajectory, angle and movement. Please provide product feedback to Apple at support.apple.com
LivingWell Companion™ Go
On the go
Get connected to help instantly, with automatic fall detection and built-in GPS. Until May 31, save $300 on a 1 year term.
LivingWell Companion™ Home
In the home
Enjoy added peace of mind knowing that you or your loved ones are safer at home. Get a FREE $50 Visa Gift Card when you order the Fall Detection version online with a 1 year term. Act now, limited quantities.