What is Guard Response?
Information about Guard Response services associated with your TELUS SmartHome Security service
Guard Response Add on service overview
Guard Response is an additional service which sends a certified and trained guard to your home to verify whether an intrusion alarm is a true event or a false alarm.
In the event of an intrusion alarm at a premise the TELUS monitoring station will attempt to verify the intrusion alarm by calling the customer and their emergency contacts. At this stage one of the 3 actions will occur:
- If the monitoring station is able to reach someone, and they verify that the intrusion alarm is a false alarm, no further action is taken
- If the monitoring station is able to reach someone, and they verify that the intrusion alarm is a true event, the local police will be dispatched
- If the monitoring station is unable to reach someone, or they reach someone but that person is not able to verify whether the intrusion alarm is a true event or a false alarm, one of the following occurs:
- If the customer has Guard Response add on, a guard is dispatched to verify the intrusion alarm on behalf of the customer. The guard will work with the monitoring station to dispatch authorities if required
- If the customer does not have the Guard Response add on, the monitoring station will attempt to dispatch authorities. If authorities require verification, the Monitoring station will need verification from the customer or emergency contacts before dispatching authorities
Thus it is important to note that Guard Response does not replace police services. Rather, Guard Response supplements the customer’s ability to verify whether an intrusion alarm is a true event or a false alarm, which may be a necessary step required to dispatch police in some areas. Please contact your municipality for details on authority dispatches and permits required.
Note: TELUS monitors additional alarm events (e.g. fire, flood, other environmental, etc.). However, Guard Response is only used to verify intrusion alarms.
Guard response availability by location
Guard Response is available in most Canadian municipalities nationwide and therefore, some locations may not be able to add on Guard Response.
Speak with a TELUS representative to see if your location is eligible for the Guard Response add on.
Guard Response during an alarm event
The priority responsibility for the guard is to verify whether the intrusion alarm is a true event or a false alarm. This is accomplished by:
- A complete exterior premise patrol, including the customer grounds surrounding the premise
- Identification of any persons on site
- Inspection of any vehicles found on site
If a guard confirms the intrusion alarm is a true event, the guard will:
- Dispatch police, and when appropriate, coordinate with the TELUS monitoring station and/or the customer to address the situation at hand
- If requested by the customer, the guard can remain on site.
Note: There is an incremental charge for this service which the customer must authorize in advance.
Benefits of Guard Response service
Guard Response service provides peace of mind in the form of:
- A guaranteed dispatch: If you or your emergency contacts are not able to verify an intrusion alarm, TELUS’ Guard Response will verify the event, and secure the premise. With guards available 24/7, 365 days a year, this service provides an additional avenue, above and beyond the emergency contact list, to verify the alarm event
- An expedited response: Our guards are always on the roads and ready for dispatch, using their best efforts to arrive at a customer’s premise as soon as reasonably possible.
Note: We cannot guarantee response times as delays may be outside of the Guards’ control e.g. traffic, weather conditions, etc.
- Saving you money: Many municipalities charge high fees in the event local police are dispatched and the intrusion alarm is shown to be false. As a TELUS SmartHome Security customer, you’ll avoid these charges when a Guard is dispatched prior to the police, as the guard will verify whether the intrusion alarm is a true event or false alarm, and only engage the police on true events
- Quality service: Our guards are trained and certified to meet the highest generally recognized standards and regulations in the industry. GPS-enabled vehicles are deployed to facilitate timely dispatch
Are there additional charges for this service?
If you have the Guard Response add on, TELUS does not charge for up to 4 dispatches in a rolling 12-month period. If you exceed this number of dispatches, fees may apply for additional dispatches.
If you have Guard Response included as a $0 add on and cancel it, you will need to add on Guard Response at $5 per month.