Senior User Researcher
Create awesome experiences for our customers.
Join our team
We’re a customer-driven and product-minded team, responsible for our company’s digital evolution. We simplify the path to production so teams can focus on what matters most.
TELUS Digital’s mission is to make life easier for millions of customers – and for our team. We build smart, customer-centric and data informed experiences for telus.com, business.telus.com and the My TELUS app.
Our team includes a passionate group of strategists, designers, developers, content managers, scrum masters, testers, product owners, people experience specialists, and other digital experts.
Our team members are leaders in local and global technology communities, we value and support communities such as: Tech Masters, NodeSchool, Ladies Learning Code, Women Who Code TO and many more!
Learn more about our team at telus.com/digital
This is a full-time, renewable 1-year contract position.
Here’s the impact you’ll make and what we’ll accomplish together
TELUS Digital is looking for a Senior User Researcher. You will drive user research strategy and execution that provides our teams with the customer insights we need to help inform the direction and implementation of our digital products and services.
On the job, you will leverage your skills in user research to plan and carry out usability testing, surveys, interviews, and other research studies to generate the insights needed to develop world class user experiences. This role is an exceptional opportunity to stretch yourself, continue to build new skills, and accelerate your career.
We believe in challenging our assumptions and beliefs on a daily basis; collaborating and validating ideas with our team and leadership; planning for ambiguity and being ready for constant change. In the change management team we bridge customer experience, technology, people and process.
- Provide best in class research practices across TELUS Digital and beyond to help create world class digital experiences.
- Partnering closely with delivery teams to understand project goals and requirements so your research generates the customer understanding they need to succeed.
- Identify and execute upon the best methodology for a given situation - in-depth-interviews, online/offline focus groups, ethnography, diary studies, surveys, etc. Choosing the right methods to deliver the insights needed to inform product strategy and implementation.
- Advocate, champion, and evolve the user research practice across TELUS Digital and beyond
- Champion TELUS Digital as a first class user research organization in the digital community.
- Educate team members on user research best practices and keep them informed on evolving methodologies.
- Recruit participants, create test plans, set up for and facilitate moderated usability testing, perform quick thorough analysis, and share findings with the team so they can action insights and inform product strategy and design.
- Methodically organize data collected during sessions to write reports and form an easily accessible library of findings.
- Leverage your research skills, strategic acumen and storytelling ability to communicate out customer insights and connect the dots in way that motivates teams to put the customer first.
You're the missing piece of the puzzle
- 3-5 years relevant work experience, including integrating user research into product designs and design practices.
- Hands on experience with and a strong understanding of the strengths and shortcomings of different research methods from a variety of disciplines including when and how to apply them at each product phase - you’ll know when to use surveys, usability tests, focus groups, etc.
- An organized mind to sort through all the collected data and user behaviours to give recommendations and the ability to weave this data into compelling stories using analytics support your findings.
- The curiosity to seek out relevant information and ability to ask the right questions to obtain information, understand, and learn from user research sessions.
- Deep understanding research support the fields of user centred design and service design.
- Fluency in digital product delivery and the associated concepts of Lean and Agile.
- The ability to move fast and adapt quickly to change, manage ambiguity, and work autonomously in an agile environment – you’ll have to be comfortable prioritizing simultaneous deadlines across multiple teams and projects.
- Good communication and public speaking skills to share out knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research
- Possess the organizational and technical skills to run a usability research lab - conduct and broadcast testing sessions nationally.
- Ability to develop and articulate succinct business rationale supporting recommendations.
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
- Strong desire to roll your sleeves up and get things done.
- Ability to deal with uncertainty and take charge of difficult situations.
About TELUS Digital:
We want to work with people who:
- Share our passion for all things digital
- Thrive in an agile, lean and fast-paced environment
- Clearly see things from the perspective of our customers
- Are curious, experiment and never stop learning
- View collaboration as essential to your work
- Utilize the power of data to inform decisions
- Embrace diversity and new ideas
What you can expect from us:
- An environment where you’re encouraged to share and act on your ideas
- Flexible work hours in a central downtown location
- A welcoming, relaxed office with a casual dress code
- A culture committed to giving; every year we donate time and resources in our communities
- Team lunches with a generous supply of healthy snacks
- A fun, dynamic team that works and plays every day; great ideas can come as easily during an impromptu hallway soccer match or social team outing
TELUS is proud to foster an inclusive culture that embraces diversity. We are committed to fair employment practices and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.
We offer accommodation for applicants with disabilities, as required, during the recruitment process.
Check out labs.telus.com/blog to see how we solve challenging problems for millions of customers with innovative tools.