Senior User Researcher
Join our team
We’re a customer-driven and product-minded team within TELUS, responsible for our company’s digital evolution.
TELUS Digital’s mission is to make life easier for millions of customers – and for our team. We build smart, customer-centric and data-driven experiences for TELUS.com, TELUS.com/Business and the My TELUS App.
Our team includes a passionate group of strategists, UX and visual designers, full stack developers, content writers, scrum masters, testers, product owners, people experience specialists, and other digital experts.
Learn more about our team at telus.com/digital
Here’s the impact you’ll make and what we’ll accomplish together
We’re seeking a skilled and experienced user researcher to join our Digital team. This role will be at the forefront of uncovering customer insights to help shape product and experience design, and will support products and teams within Mobility: Commerce, Research & Learn, Chat, Support, Search and Navigation. You will bring new ideas to the team on how to improve customer journey flows, and help us keep pushing to be a best in class customer experience.
While supporting the design practice you will lead the research practice by:
- Working with product teams to facilitate user research
- Working with leadership to help facilitate the development of strategies to help us mature, scale, and create the conditions for the best user experiences to reach our business objectives.
We’re looking for someone who is curious about people and human behaviours, someone who can actively listen, ask thoughtful questions to proactively seek out valuable insights, and connect these insights to data that can help teams be better informed in their design decisions.
As part of the Mobility team, our user researcher is expected to contribute to the overall practice culture by knowledge sharing with other researchers and embedding good research practice and standards within our product teams. To help you execute your role, you’ll lean on our teams in Design, Content, Development, Testing, Analytics, and Marketing.
- Provide outstanding research practice across Mobility and ensure the quality of research achieves project goals by working closely with cross functional teams in identifying the best research method based on project requirements, timelines, and resources
- Advocate, champion, and evolve the user research methodologies across Mobility and beyond… Champion TELUS Digital as a first class user research organization in the digital community
- Guide designers towards and promote the adoption of other user research methods such as remote testing, guerilla testing, card sorting exercises, A/B testing, discovery etc.
- Educate team members on user research best processes and keep them informed on evolving methodologies
- Work with our design and content leads to champion the development and execution of the research strategy, playing a key role in defining the vision and goals of the user experience
- Recruit participants, build test plans, set up for and facilitate moderated usability testing, perform quick detailed analysis, and share findings with the team so they can action insights and inform product strategy and design
- Methodically prioritize data collected during sessions to form an easily accessible library of findings
You're the missing piece of the puzzle
- 5+ years relevant work experience, including integrating user research into product designs and design practices
- Hands-on experience with a strong understanding of the strengths and shortcomings of different research methods from a variety of disciplines, including when and how to apply them at each product phase - you’ll know when to use surveys, usability tests, focus groups and when to recommend guerrilla research tactics etc.
- An organized mind to sort through all the collected data and user behaviours to give recommendations and the capability to weave this data into compelling stories using analytics to support your findings
- The curiosity to seek out relevant information and ability to ask the right questions to obtain information, understand, and learn from user research sessions
- The ability to move fast and adapt quickly to change, handle ambiguity, and work autonomously in an agile environment – you’ll have to be comfortable prioritizing simultaneous deadlines across multiple projects and stakeholders
- Good communication and public speaking skills to share out knowledge on user research
- Possess the organizational and technical skills to run a user research lab - conduct and broadcast testing sessions nationally
- E-commerce, branding, design and information architecture experience is a plus
About TELUS Digital: We want to work with people who:
- Thrive in an agile, lean and fast-paced environment
- Clearly see things from the perspective of our customers
- Are curious, experiment and never stop learning
- View collaboration as essential to your work
- Utilize the power of data to inform decisions
- Embrace diversity and new ideas
What you can expect from us:
- An environment where you’re encouraged to share and act on your ideas
- Flexible work hours while you work from home
- A culture committed to giving; every year we donate time and resources in our communities
- A fun, dynamic team that works and plays every day
TELUS is proud to foster an inclusive culture that embraces diversity. We are committed to fair employment practices and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.
We offer accommodation for applicants with disabilities, as required, during the recruitment process.