Design Community Lead
Join our team
We’re a customer-driven and product-minded team within TELUS, responsible for our company’s digital evolution. We simplify the path to production so teams can focus on what matters most.
TELUS Digital’s mission is to make life easier for millions of customers – and for our team. We build smart, customer-centric and data-driven experiences for telus.com, TELUS.com/business and the My TELUS app.
Our team includes a passionate group of strategists, UX and visual designers, fullstack developers, content managers, scrum masters, testers, product owners, people experience specialists, and other digital experts.
We value and continuously support organizations across Canada that are empowering people in our local communities with digital knowledge and skills.
Learn more about our team at telus.com/digital
Here’s the impact you’ll make and what we’ll accomplish together
TELUS Digital is looking for a strategic self-starter, who can act as a leader in building the Design Community of Practice and is dedicated to envisioning better ways of working, developing ideas and working tirelessly to improve the team member experience for our Design practitioners.
On the job, you will work with design subject matter experts and learning & development specialists to establish peer to peer support programs, drive community building and career development initiatives, support and onboarding. This job is also an exceptional opportunity to take initiative, build new skills and accelerate your career.
We believe in driving outcomes over outputs and determine our priorities based on what enables our practitioners to do their best work. You’ll be part of the Community and Governance team, where we constantly seek new ways to improve and evolve the engagement while maximizing practitioners productivity within TELUS Digital.
You’ll report directly to the Manager of the Community of Governance team.
This is a full-time permanent position open to candidates located anywhere in Canada.
- Support our Strategic Direction & Governance
- Inform discipline-specific ideas and initiatives to support broader Digital and TELUS priorities and strategic direction
- Inform the Community & Governance priorities for the practice
- Intake Design community work and manage a backlog, and deliver on those commitments based on priorities identified by the Community & Governance team
- Develop and socialize a community strategy that clearly outlines how the Community Leads communicate and collaborate with the Centre of Excellence and other TELUS Digital teams
- Develop, track and report on necessary KPIs related to the design practitioner and community engagement
- Facilitate Knowledge Sharing & Communication
- Curate and organize relevant resources for practitioners (e.g. standards, documentation from past projects, POVs, retrospectives, how to guides etc.) - leveraging existing platforms
- Inform how best to communicate Design standards and resources and to support the adoption of the platform & standards
- Identify knowledge management and resource gaps to inform documentation required
- Manage the preparation (e.g., scheduling, logistics, materials), facilitation (e.g., identifying speakers and discussion topics), and hosting of forums for practitioners to exchange ideas and discuss topics of interest
- Support and maintain communication channels for practitioners (e.g. Slack, Office Hours, Google Chat, Surveys)
- Identify opportunities to showcase practitioners work and amplify the importance of the Design practice across TELUS Digital
- Write blog posts and/or support other Design practitioners writing blog posts on the TELUS Digital HUB to drive awareness and accomplishments of the practice
- Improving our Culture & Building our Communities of Practice
- Curate and maintain a list of education and training opportunities (training courses, e-learnings, articles etc.) based on the capability gaps identified
- Manage the preparation (e.g., materials, identifying speakers and learning topics), and hosting of practice learning events
- Organize, facilitate and establish programs to connect practitioners within the community (e.g. Mentorship programs, Gemba/Job Shadowing programs)
- Produce quality Design content (e.g. blogs, webinars, talks etc.) focused on addressing practitioner needs, latest design trends, and emerging best practices
- Seek out an understanding of the challenges impeding design practitioners and launch and lead initiatives to address them
- Connect with Design practitioners to build relationships and understand their needs and challenges
You’re the missing piece of the puzzle
- Delivery & Implementation: The ability to start-up projects and initiatives from conception and drive them to completion, assessing the impacts and iterating along the way.
- Change Management & Communication: The ability to communicate Design-specific concepts and strategic priorities to diverse stakeholders and navigate / partner with diverse stakeholder groups across disciplines
- Stakeholder Management: The ability to manage multiple (internal and external) stakeholders, prioritize their needs/asks and deliver on strategic initiatives
- Coordination & Planning: The ability to organize both large and small scale community related activities and events effectively, ensuring that all of the appropriate stakeholders are involved and attendees have a pleasant experience
- Content Curation: The ability to identify and curate best practice and design-specific content and resources (including presentations, white papers, POVs etc.) for practitioners
- Experience and knowledge with proven change management models, frameworks and tools
- Have strong presentation skills and the ability to understand your audience and create or adapt messages to communicate effectively with stakeholders
- Ability to develop and articulate succinct business rationale supporting recommendations
- Strong dedication to quality and an eye for detail
- Strong desire to roll your sleeves up and get things done
- Ability to deal with uncertainty and take charge of difficult situations
- Collaborative, action-oriented drive, positive attitude, flexible, adaptable
About TELUS Digital
We want to work with people who:
- Share our passion for all things digital
- Thrive in an agile, lean and fast-paced environment
- Clearly see things from the perspective of our customers
- Are curious, experiment and never stop learning
- View collaboration as essential to your work
- Utilize the power of data to inform decisions
- Embrace diversity and new ideas
What you can expect from us:
- An environment where you’re encouraged to share and act on your ideas
- Flexible work hours remote or in a central downtown location
- During COVID, provide the tools and resources you need to work effectively and comfortably from a remote location
- A welcoming, relaxed office with a casual dress code
- A culture committed to giving; every year we donate time and resources in our communities
- A fun, dynamic team that works and plays every day; great ideas can come as easily teaming up in a virtual escape room or channeling your inner artist over a paint night
Check out https://telus.com/digital/blog to see how we solve challenging problems for millions of customers with innovative tools.
A bit about us
We’re a people-first, customer-first, purpose-driven team who works together every day to innovate and do good. We improve lives through our technology solutions and foster a culture of innovation that empowers team members to solve complex problems and create remarkable human outcomes in a digital world. When you join our team, you’re helping us make the future friendly.
We’re committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability—your unique contributions and talents will be valued and respected here.
The health and safety of our team, customers and communities is paramount to TELUS. Accordingly, we require anyone joining our team to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19.