Senior User Researcher
Create awesome experiences for our customers.
Join our team
We’re a customer-driven and product-minded team within TELUS, responsible for our company’s digital evolution.
TELUS Digital’s mission is to make life easier for millions of customers – and for our team. We build smart, customer-centric and data-driven experiences for TELUS.com, TELUS.com/Business and the My TELUS App. Our team includes a passionate group of strategists, UX and visual designers, full stack developers, content writers, scrum masters, testers, product owners, people experience specialists, and other digital experts.
Learn more about our team at telus.com/digital
Here’s the impact you’ll make and what we’ll accomplish together
We’re seeking a skilled and experienced user researcher to join our Digital team. This role will be at the forefront of uncovering customer insights to help shape product and experience design, and will support products and teams within My TELUS, the self-serve authenticated space for our customers.
While supporting the design practice you will lead the research practice by:
- Working with product teams to facilitate user research
- Working with leadership to help facilitate the development of strategies to help us mature, scale, and create the conditions for the best user experiences to reach our business objectives.
We’re looking for someone who is curious about people and human behaviours, someone who can actively listen, ask thoughtful questions to proactively seek out valuable insights, and connect these insights to data that can help teams be better informed in their design decisions.
As a part of the My TELUS team, our user researcher is expected to contribute to the overall practice culture by knowledge sharing with other researchers and embedding good research practice and standards within our product teams. To help you execute your role, you’ll lean on our teams in Design, Content, Development, Testing, Analytics, and Marketing.
- Provide outstanding research practice across My TELUS and ensure the quality of research achieves project goals by working closely with cross functional teams in identifying the best research method based on project requirements, timelines, and resources
- Advocate, champion, and evolve the user research methodologies across My TELUS and beyond… Champion TELUS Digital as a first class user research organization in the digital community
- Guide designers towards and promote the adoption of other user research methods such as remote testing, guerilla testing, card sorting exercises, A/B testing, discovery etc.
- Educate team members on user research best processes and keep them informed on evolving methodologies
- Work with the design and content leads to champion the development and execution of the research strategy, playing a key role in defining the vision and goals of the user experience
- Recruit participants, build test plans, set up for and facilitate moderated usability testing, perform quick detailed analysis, and share findings with the team so they can action insights and inform product strategy and design
- Methodically prioritize data collected during sessions to form an easily accessible library of findings
You're the missing piece of the puzzle
- 5+ years relevant work experience, including integrating user research into product designs and design practices
- Hands on experience with and a strong understanding of the strengths and shortcomings of different research methods from a variety of disciplines including when and how to apply them at each product phase - you’ll know when to use surveys, usability tests, focus groups and when to recommend guerrilla research tactics etc.
- An organized mind to sort through all the collected data and user behaviours to give recommendations and the capability to weave this data into compelling stories using analytics to support your findings
- The curiosity to seek out relevant information and ability to ask the right questions to obtain information, understand, and learn from user research sessions
- The ability to move fast and adapt quickly to change, handle ambiguity, and work autonomously in an agile environment – you’ll have to be comfortable prioritizing simultaneous deadlines across multiple projects
- Good communication and public speaking skills to share out knowledge on user research
- Possess the organizational and technical skills to run a user research lab - conduct and broadcast testing sessions nationally
- E-commerce, branding, design and information architecture experience is a plus
A bit about us
Our business is connecting Canadians. Our social impact is using our world-leading technology to create meaningful change, give back to help communities thrive, and help those who need it most. When you join our team, you’re helping us make the future friendly. We’re committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability —your unique contributions and talents will be valued and respected here.