TELUS public Wi-Fi service terms
These Service Terms describe the TELUS Wi-Fi Service and cover your privacy rights, use of the Service, limitations on TELUS’ liability and warranty information. As part of our commitment to putting customers first, we want to make sure that we are clear and transparent in helping you fully understand what TELUS provides. These Service Terms apply whenever you use the TELUS Wi-Fi Service, at any time and at any location at which the TELUS Wi-Fi Service is available.
These Service Terms, including the TELUS privacy and acceptable use policies described below, form the entire agreement between you and TELUS concerning the TELUS Wi-Fi Service.
As you read through these Service Terms, please note that:
- “I”, “me”, “your” and “you” refers to a person owning or using a device that connects to and uses the TELUS Wi-Fi Service;
- “We”, “us” “our” and “TELUS” refers to TELUS Communications Company, which includes Koodo;
- “Device” means any type of communications or computer device that you use to connect to and use the TELUS Wi-Fi Service, including mobile phones, personal computers, tablets, and more;
- “Service” and “TELUS Wi-Fi Service” mean the Internet access service that TELUS provides through its wireless network access points at various locations
How can TELUS use my personal information?
You agree to provide your current email address or mobile number and you authorize TELUS to use your email address to:
- Send you product updates and promotions from TELUS;
- Collect feedback;
- Contact you about any breach or suspected breach of these Service Terms
How does TELUS protect my privacy?
All information that TELUS keeps with respect to you and your service, other than your name and address, is confidential. Unless you provide your express consent or unless disclosure is required under the law, your information may not be disclosed by TELUS to anyone, other than:
- You or a person who, in the reasonable judgement of TELUS, is seeking the information as your agent;
- Another telecommunications company, but only if the information is used to establish or to efficiently provide telecommunications service, if the disclosure is made on a confidential basis, and if the information is used solely for that purpose;
- An affiliate involved in supplying you with telecommunications and/or broadcasting services, provided the information is required for that purpose and disclosure is made on a confidential basis with the information used only for that purpose;
- A public authority or its agent if TELUS reasonably believes that there is imminent danger to life or property that could be avoided or minimized by disclosure of the information;
- A law enforcement agency if TELUS reasonably believes that you or anyone using your device is engaged in fraudulent or unlawful activities against TELUS
By “express consent”, we mean:
- Written consent;
- Oral confirmation verified by an independent third party;
- Electronic confirmation through the use of a toll-free number;
- Electronic confirmation via the Internet;
- Oral consent, where an audio recording of the consent is retained by TELUS; or
- Consent through other methods, as long as an objective documented record of your consent is created by you or by an independent third party
TELUS' liability for disclosure of information contrary to these TELUS Service Terms is not limited by the limitation of liability set out above. You may inspect any TELUS records related to the provision of your service, provided that you pay TELUS' related extraordinary costs.
If you have any questions or concerns about TELUS’ privacy practices, you may call 1-800-567-0000 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Why does TELUS collect my personal information?
We collect your information to:
- Establish and maintain a commercial relationship with you and provide ongoing service;
- Understand your needs and preferences by maintaining a record of the products and services you receive from us;
- Develop, enhance, market or provide products and services;
- Manage and develop our business and operations;
- Meet legal and regulatory requirements
Will my personal information remain in Canada?
Personal information collected by TELUS may be stored and processed in Canada or another country. In either case, the information is protected with appropriate security safeguards, but may be available to foreign government agencies under applicable law. When we do transfer data outside the country, we strive to minimize the amount of personal information that we transfer, using de-identification or other means where appropriate.
What limits apply to my use of the service?
You can only use the TELUS Wi-Fi Service for your own individual use, with compatible devices and in compliance with the law, and TELUS’ Acceptable Use Policy. This policy prohibits use of the Service that constitutes a criminal offence, gives rise to civil liability or violates the rights of others. The policy details other prohibited use, and you can view it at telus.com/AUP. You also agree not to:
- Resell the Service or receive any charge or benefit for the use of the Service by any third party;
- Engage in any activity that could compromise the security of the Service or any network or computers on the Internet, or that could interfere with the services of any Internet access provider;
- Use the Service in any way that requires excessive network capacity or that may adversely affect other TELUS customers or users, or the Service;
- Copy or change the identification functions of the Service or your Device, or permit anyone other than a TELUS authorized person to do so;
- Use a Device that has been reported lost or stolen to any wireless service provider;
- Use the Service as a replacement or back-up for private lines or dedicated data connections for residential or commercial Internet access, or to operate any server system
Where will I have coverage?
TELUS Wi-Fi Service is available at various locations in certain major cities in Canada. TELUS Wi-Fi coverage areas, and the connectivity in these areas, will depend on the availability of wireless access points and network facilities. These are subject to change from time to time, without notice.
Will TELUS Wi-Fi service always work in TELUS Wi-Fi coverage areas?
TELUS Wi-Fi Service uses radio waves, and service failures or interruptions can occur due to events beyond TELUS’ reasonable control. These may include:
- Atmospheric conditions (including solar activities);
- Physical obstacles interfering with the transmission of radio signals;
- Limitations on the capacity of the network to carry traffic from all nearby users;
- Technical limitations of the systems of other telecommunications companies or limitations of the interconnection of transmission facilities;
- Defects or failures in network equipment; or
- Emergency or public safety requirements
As a result, TELUS does not guarantee the performance of the Service and it may be interrupted, refused or limited. TELUS may also temporarily suspend or restrict the Service to maintain, restore or repair the network and wireless network access points, and to ensure fair network access to all users, TELUS may manage its network resources. For a description of TELUS’ network management practices please see telusmobility.com/optimization.
Are user sessions limited?
TELUS may restrict the length of any user session, at its discretion.
Is the TELUS Wi-Fi service secure?
Communications over the TELUS Wi-Fi Service may be subject to interception by unauthorized third parties. You are responsible to ensure that the configuration of your device is secure. An individual with Internet access can cause or incur damage, disclose information and enter into contractual obligations while on the Internet. All such matters are your responsibility.
Can TELUS cancel my use of the TELUS Wi-Fi service?
TELUS will only suspend or cancel your use of the Service if you have not complied with these Service Terms, or any other service agreement you have with us (or if TELUS reasonably believes that either may occur).
TELUS may deactivate or terminate the provision of the TELUS Wi-Fi Service to all users at any location at any time.
Can TELUS change these service terms?
Yes, TELUS has the right to change any of these Service Terms at any time, without notice to you. If we make any changes, you will be asked to agree to the changes before you can use the Service.
What if I do not agree with the changes that TELUS makes to the service terms?
If you do not agree with changes to the Service Terms, you must not use the Service.
Who is responsible for complying with the TELUS service terms?
Both the owner of any Device that connects to and uses the Service and the actual user of the Service are responsible for complying with the Service Terms.
Can any of these service terms be void?
It is possible for one or more of the Service Terms to be or become void, prohibited or unenforceable (for example as a result of a new interpretation of the law). In this case, the particular service term(s) will not apply, but the remaining terms will continue to be binding for both you and TELUS.
Who is responsible if someone else uses my device?
You are responsible for your Device and for the activities of anyone who uses it. To prevent unauthorized use, you must safeguard your Device and maintain the confidentiality of the login names, passwords and other identification methods that you use to protect your Device and its use.
If any person makes a claim against TELUS in connection with the use of the TELUS Wi-Fi Service by you or by anyone using your Device, you will indemnify TELUS against any loss or expense that TELUS may incur, including any judgment made against us.
How does TELUS manage user content?
The Internet can be used to spread viruses and other malicious content. TELUS has the right, but not the obligation, to monitor or log any TELUS Internet site or use of the Service. This allows us to enhance operating efficiencies and to protect TELUS, its customers and users of the Service from spam, malicious content and other unlawful activity. If we believe any Internet capability or data accessed through our Service is in violation of any of the Service Terms, we have the right to remove or block it.
To enable you to post content to the Internet using the Service, you grant TELUS and TELUS’ service providers a world-wide, royalty-free, unrestricted license to use, copy, adapt, transmit, display, communicate and create compilations and derivative works from this content.
Are there any warranties on the TELUS Wi-Fi service?
Since the Service uses radio waves, it is subject to factors that cannot reasonably be controlled. For this reason, TELUS does not guarantee timely, secure, error-free or uninterrupted Service or that you will always receive your messages or data. To the extent permitted by law, legal warranties and conditions (implied or statutory) do not apply to the Service.
TELUS is not responsible for any statements or promises made about the TELUS Wi-Fi Service by any other person, such as the owner of or employees at the premises where you use the TELUS Wi-Fi Service.
What limitations apply to any claim made against TELUS?
TELUS is not responsible for:
- Libel, slander, defamation or the infringement of copyright arising from material or messages transmitted from your property or premises or recorded by your equipment or TELUS’ equipment;
- Damages arising out of your act, default, neglect or omission in the use or operation of equipment provided by TELUS;
- Damages arising out of the transmission of material or messages over TELUS’ network on your behalf, which is in any way unlawful; or
- Any act, omission or negligence of other companies or telecommunications systems in relation to the provision of the Service to you, when the facilities of such other companies or telecommunications systems are used to establish connections to or from facilities and equipment controlled by you
To the fullest extent permitted by law, TELUS will not be liable to you or to any other person for any damages or expenses (including loss of profits, loss of earnings, loss of business opportunities, loss of data, economic loss or other similar loss, or punitive damages) arising out of or in connection with the use or failure of the Service, whether caused by negligence or otherwise, and whether claimed in contract, tort or otherwise.
These limitations of liability extend to the benefit of third party providers of audio or audiovisual programming services delivered to your Device through the Service.
If you have any claim against TELUS, because of a breach by TELUS of these Service Terms or for any negligence of TELUS or for any other reason, your exclusive remedy will be to stop your access to and use of the TELUS Wi-Fi Service.