Manage roaming charges
Learn about welcome and data usage notifications
Roaming charges can add up quicker than you realize. To help you manage roaming charges, TELUS will send you notifications to inform you of data usage on your account and any additional roaming data charges incurred.
- A welcome message is sent when you arrive in another country and turn your phone on. This message includes pay-per-use rates, how-to-dial instructions and information on your travel option (if you have Easy Roam or have purchased a roaming pass)
- This message is sent as a text message to the user of the device that is roaming in another country
- To ensure the account owner is aware of any potential roaming charges when any device on the account is roaming in another country, the welcome message is also sent as an email to the account owner
- If you have , then the welcome email notification will be sent to the email address used for that
- If your mobility account has multiple My TELUS users with their own profile and login credentials, the welcome email notification will be sent to the email address of the My TELUS profile with Owner access. For more information, visit
- If you wish to change the email address that the welcome email is sent to, then you may change the email address in . For more information, see
- If you do not have an email address associated with your mobility account, you can easily for My TELUS
- A welcome home notification when you return to Canada is also sent as a text message to the device user that was roaming
- If you would like to opt out of the welcome notifications, contact us by dialing * 611 from your TELUS mobile phone
Note: Opting out means that you will no longer receive a notification when you enter another country containing information on pay-per-use rates and how to dial.
Data usage notifications
Data notifications help keep you informed of data usage on your account so you can adjust your usage if necessary and avoid unexpected data charges. Notifications are sent for data included in your plan as well as any additional data charges including pay-per-use usage and data top-ups if the data included in your plan is ever exceeded.
Whether you use a feature phone, smartphone, tablet or a mobile Internet key, we will notify you when you're close to using all of the data included in your monthly rate plan or data top-up.
By default we send these notifications by SMS but you can choose between email and/or SMS as your preferred contact method by visiting Data Manager in.
Using Data in Canada or while traveling with Easy Roam
This information applies if you’re using your monthly rate plan or data top-up while in Canada or traveling with Easy Roam:
- We'll let you know when you've used 90% and 100% of the data included in your plan. You can also customize your settings to be notified at other thresholds in Data Manager by logging into and going to the Usage section.
- If you have a shared data plan, everyone sharing data will receive the same notifications.
- If you exceed the data included in your monthly plan, we'll notify you when additional data charges from all users on the account reach $20, $50, $100 and every $100 increment after that by default.
- If additional data charges across all users on the account ever reach $50 in a monthly bill cycle, pay-per-use data on the account is blocked to prevent further charges. If the user is allowed to unblock data, they can reply to the block message and unblock data for all users on the account. Using Data Manager, an account owner can determine which devices will receive the notifications as well as grant permission to any user they want to be able to unblock data. Access Data Manager by logging into and go to the Usage section.
- Additional data charges include any data used on a pay-per-use basis or one time data top-up purchases.
- When traveling with Easy Roam, it will use your monthly rate plan or top-up data as if you are in Canada. This means you will continue to receive the same data usage notifications about your monthly rate plan or data top-up.
- To learn more about data blocks and other ways to manage spend on additional data charges, view our support article on .
Using Data while traveling outside of Canada
If you are travelling outside Canada and using roaming data in a roaming pass or at a pay-per-use rate:
- We'll let you know when you've used 90% and 100% of the data included in your roaming pass.
- We’ll also let you know if roaming data charges from all users on the account reach $20, $50, $100 and every $100 increment after that by default.
- If additional roaming data charges across all users on the account ever reach $100 in a monthly bill cycle, roaming pay-per-use data on the account is blocked to prevent further charges. If the user is allowed to unblock data, they can reply to the block message and unblock data for all users on the account. Using Data Manager, you can determine which devices will receive the notifications as well as which ones are allowed to unblock data. Access Data Manager by logging into and go to the Usage section.
- Additional roaming data charges now include any roaming data used on a pay-per-use basis or one time 30 day roaming data pass purchases that include data. This means if you have bought a $100 30-day roaming pass that includes data, then that counts towards the $100 block on additional roaming data charges. However, the fees paid to use Easy Roam are not considered to be roaming data charges, so Easy Roam will not trigger blocks or notifications about roaming data charges.
- If roaming pay-per-use data is blocked, it will not impact the availability of data service in Canada.
Additional information on data notifications
- The $20 notification on additional data charges will not communicate the amount as $20 if a purchase of data causes the account to exceed $20. For example, if the account currently has $10 of pay-per-use data charges accumulated and you purchase a $15 data top-up, the initial notification you will receive will communicate $25 instead of $20. This also applies for 30 day roaming passes and the $20 notification on additional roaming data charges.
- Data plan notifications are set to SMS by default and you can setup email notification in Data Manager. You’ll receive the following details in the notification:
- Percentage of data used in your monthly plan
- Amount of data remaining in MB
- Dollar amount of additional data charges (if applicable)
- End date of your bill cycle
- If you're on a shareable data plan, all members on the plan will receive data usage notifications
- When you to My TELUS, your data usage dashboard will include individual data usage for each member on the plan. It will also show the combined amount of the data used among all members on the plan.
- If you're on a Flex Plan, you'll receive data notifications during each tier
- If you’re using a mobile Internet key, you receive data notifications in your connection manager. You can receive your notifications via email by changing your message preferences in Data Manager
- If you’re using a tablet, you can receive your notifications via email by changing your message preferences in Data Manager
- The amount of data sent or received by a device is measured in kilobytes (KB) and is presented on your monthly invoice in megabytes (MB). 1024 KB = 1 MB. 1024 MB = 1 gigabyte (GB)
- While data usage notifications are close to real-time, usage meters can be delayed by up to 6 hours. Share plans will reflect each person’s usage at various times and are subject to the same delays. All usage information is an approximate; please refer to your invoice for final charges
Setup data notifications in Data Manager
Data manager lets you configure your data notification settings and blocks so that you can control how much data is used in your account and prevent unplanned usage charges. Depending on your account type, you may see different account management options when you log in.
To access Data Manager,to My TELUS. if you don't have one.
- Log in to
- Select Usage from the left side menu
- If you have multiple subscribers select the one you would like to set up notifications on
- Select Data Manager
- Select the notifications that best suit your needs
Increase your data plan
We offer a variety of, as well as , with varying data limits. To change your data plan, to My TELUS. if you don't have one.
Stop data notifications
Data notifications are free and you will receive them automatically. If you don't want to be notified about your data usage, you can opt out of receiving data notifications by using Data Manager in My TELUS. If you don’t have My TELUS you can.
Roaming with a tablet or Internet key
If you are using a mobile Internet key or an Android tablet, you will receive text notifications in your connection manager. iPads will not receive text messages. To unblock data on these devices, contact us by dialing *611 from your TELUS mobile phone.
Data manager lets you configure your data notification setting and blocks so that you can control how much data is used in your account and prevent unplanned usage charges. Depending upon your type of account, you may see different account management options when you log in.
To access Data Manager,to your TELUS account and go to the Usage section. if you don't have one.
Help us improve this article
Please rate your experience