Installing your Smoke Sensor
How to install your Smoke Sensor
Not your device?
Video on how to install the Smoke Sensor
Watch this video for step-by-step instructions:
To install your Smoke Sensor, make sure you have the following in addition to the included equipment:
- Drill and 2mm bit
Installing your sensor using the mobile app
If this is the first time you are installing the TELUS SmartHome Security system, before you install your sensors, make sure to follow the step-by-step guide included in the box first. After you complete these steps and successfully set up the Control Panel, you can then add more devices to your account.
Don’t have the app or having trouble logging in? Click here to learn more.
To add a sensor to your security system, use your TELUS SmartHome app and follow the instructions below:
- Log in to your TELUS SmartHome app on your mobile device
- Select Menu at the top left-hand corner
- Select + Add Device
- Select Sensor
- Select your device and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup
Once all of your sensors are added successfully, you will be shown how to complete a walk test to confirm that each sensor is working as expected. If you experience any issues at any time during your installation, please call TELUS at 1-855-255-8828.
Troubleshooting your Smoke Sensor
Where should I install my Smoke Sensor?
Your Smoke Sensor should be installed on a clean surface area inside your home. Make sure you wipe the location before installing your sensor. A good location for a Smoke Sensor is:
- Between bedroom areas and the rest of the home
- Near stairways to the upper floor
- 4 inches away from the nearest wall if ceiling mounted
- 4 inches away from the ceiling if wall-mounted
- Away from kitchens, bathrooms, and areas with usage of recreational smoke (i.e. smoking, vaping)
A Smoke Sensor should not be installed:
- Directly above a sink, cooker, stove or oven
- Within five feet of any cooking appliances
- Near doors and windows with drafts
- Outside or in a garage
- In or below a cupboard
- In a location where the air flow is obstructed by curtains or furniture
- In a location where dirt or dust could collect and block the sensor
- Anywhere the sensor can be knocked, damaged or inadvertently removed
- On removable ceiling panels
How to mount my Smoke Sensor
- Refer to the diagram below and install the mounting base on the ceiling or on the wall (if local ordinances permit). Use the two screws and anchors provided. Maneuver the base so the screws are at the elbow of the screw slots and secure.
- Fit the detector inside the base by aligning it over the base as shown (detector’s alignment notch should be slightly offset from mounting base tamper release tab), then turn the detector in a clockwise direction until it clicks into place.
My Smoke Sensor is failing the walk test
If you are testing your sensor using the TELUS SmartHome mobile app and the device is consistently failing to pass the walk test, it is possible that you entered an incorrect sensor ID at an earlier stage or that the sensor is malfunctioning.
Please call TELUS Technical Support at 1-855-255-8828 to resolve the issue and complete your installation.