To install your CO Detector, make sure you have the following in addition to the included equipment:
- Drill and 2mm bit
Installing your sensor using the mobile app
If this is the first time you are installing the TELUS SmartHome Security system, before you install your sensors, make sure to follow the step-by-step guide included in the box first. After you complete these steps and successfully set up the Control Panel, you can then add more devices to your account.
Don’t have the app or having trouble logging in? Click here to learn more.
To add a sensor to your security system, use your TELUS SmartHome app and follow the instructions below:
- Log in to your TELUS SmartHome app on your mobile device
- Select Menu at the top left-hand corner
- Select + Add Device
- Select Sensor
- Select your device and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup
Once all of your sensors are added successfully, you will be shown how to complete a walk test to confirm that each sensor is working as expected. If you experience any issues at any time during your installation, please call TELUS at 1-855-255-8828.
Troubleshooting your CO Detector
Where should I install my CO Detector?
Your CO Detector should be installed on a clean surface area inside your home. Make sure you wipe the location before installing your sensor. A good location for a CO Detector is:
- At least 12" from any wall if ceiling mounted
- At least 6" from the ceiling but not lower than a light switch if wall mounted
- Within 10 feet (3m) of a sleeping area
- Inside any room that contains a fuel burning appliance (or just outside any room with a fuel burning appliance if the room is not used regularly)
CO Detectors should NOT be installed:
- Directly above a sink, cooker, stove or oven
- Within five feet of any cooking appliances
- Near doors and windows with drafts
- In or below a cupboard
- In a location where the air flow is obstructed by curtains or furniture
- In a location where dirt or dust could collect and block the sensor
- Anywhere the sensor can be knocked, damaged or inadvertently removed
- On removable ceiling panels
How to mount my CO Detector
- Refer to the diagram below and install the mounting base on the ceiling or on the wall (if local ordinances permit) using screw locations as required. Use the two screws and anchors provided. Maneuver the base so the screws are at the elbow of the screw slots and secure.
- Fit the detector inside the base by aligning it over the base as shown (detector’s alignment notch should be slightly offset from mounting base tamper release tab), then turn the detector in a clockwise direction until it clicks into place.
My CO Detector is flashing/ making a sound
If your CO Detector is flashing or making a sound, see below for more information about the LED lights on your device and what the pattern may indicate.
|Normal||Green flash every 12 seconds||Not applicable|
|Alarm/test||Red flash every 12 seconds||ANSI S3.41 temporal 4 (press button to hush for 5 minutes)|
|Detector trouble||Yellow flash every 6 seconds||One 100ms chirp every 45 seconds|
|Low battery||Yellow flash every 12 seconds||One 100ms chirp every 45 seconds (press button to hush for 12 hours)|
|Detector end of life||Yellow flash every 23 seconds||One 100ms chirp every 45 seconds|
|Powering up||Green, yellow and red flash sequence every 12 seconds||One 100ms chirp at end of power-up sequence|
|Tamper||Green, yellow and red flash sequence every 12 seconds||Not applicable|
My CO Detector is failing the walk test
If you are testing your sensor using the TELUS SmartHome mobile app and the device is consistently failing to pass the walk test, it is possible that you entered an incorrect sensor ID at an earlier stage or that the sensor is malfunctioning.
Please call TELUS Technical Support at 1-855-255-8828 to resolve the issue and complete your installation.