Contributing to the Canadian Economy
Creating shared value
TELUS is focused on the long-term growth of our wireless and wireline businesses for our investors, customers, employees, suppliers and the communities where we live, work and serve. Our products and services enhance the lives of Canadians, support the success of our customers and contribute to the development of sustainable communities and Canada’s digital economy. In 2018, we contributed to the economy by:
- Paying 26,000 Canadian employees compensation of nearly $2.9 billion
- Paying and remitting more than $2.5 billion in taxes to all levels of government
- Paying more than $1.9 billion in dividends and interest to our investors and supporting Canadians’ pensions and savings
- Contributing over $150 million and one million volunteer hours to charitable and community organizations
- Spending $2.9 billion in capital investment and over $50 million in spectrum renewal fees, supporting the globe’s most advanced communications technology
- Launching the TELUS Friendly Future Foundation, made possible with an unprecedented $120 million donation from TELUS
- Driving innovation through information communication technology, services and know-how for customers, enhancing the connectivity of Canadian businesses, consumers and governments
Research and development
We deliver on our brand promise by offering customers the best technology and an amazing experience. To do this, we collaborate with many partners on research and development (R&D) opportunities that will enhance our product and service offering. In 2018, TELUS invested $307 million in R&D, $67 million more than in 2017.
|Estimated investment in R&D||307||240||184|
The increase in 2018 R&D spending is indicative of TELUS’ strategic investments designed to advance next-generation technologies and unleash the potential of 5G for Canadians.
More and more communities have access to TELUS PureFibre’s unrivalled speed and reliability. As of December 31, 2018, approximately 1.89 million households and businesses across B.C., Alberta and Eastern Quebec are covered by TELUS PureFibre®, representing 61 per cent our broadband footprint.
As the backbone for 5G, TELUS PureFibre represents our investment in the future of TELUS’ products and services for generations to come. This includes everything from world-class broadband speeds and data speeds up to 200 times faster than 4G LTE, to low latency, which is critical for things like smart and secure homes, connected cars, robotics, Internet of Things (IoT) devices and mobile health.
In the past year, TELUS has advanced its presence and capabilities in areas such as:
- Home and business security
- Emergency response tools and alerts for seniors and all Canadians
- Mobile and virtual health delivery
- Optik TV® and Pik TV®
- Private and secure personal health records.