On November 7, Typhoon Haiyan struck the Guiuan region of the Philippines.
Millions struggled in the wake of the storm. Dedicated to supporting those directly affected by the disaster in the Philippines, as well as our Canadian customers and team members with family and loved ones in the country, we:
Contributed $100,000 to relief efforts:
- $50,000 through our International Philippines Community Board toward projects supporting local disaster relief
- $50,000 in support of the Canadian Red Cross and its efforts on the ground in the Philippines;
- Matched donations from our TELUS International Philippines team members;
- Coordinated volunteer opportunities for team members in the Philippines to create emergency relief kits;
- Focused the annual TELUS Day of Giving in the Philippines in December to typhoon relief activities;
- Credited all home phone long distance calls from B.C. and Alberta to the Philippines from November 8 to November 30;
- Supported the Canadian Red Cross’ activation of a text-to-donate campaign;
- Matched Canadian team member donations to relief organizations through our charitable giving program;
- Enabled Canadian team members looking for ways to contribute to flood relief efforts to use their Bravo (internal recognition program) points for contribution; and
- Offered free previews in the weeks after the typhoon of TFC (The Filipino Channel) and CNNi on Optik TV, featuring special coverage on the ground in the Philippines.