Experiencing slow speeds (wired connection)
Select connection type you are using
Before we get started, you should conduct a speed test.
If you are experiencing speeds much slower than your speed plan, we suggest trying the following troubleshooting steps.
- Make sure your modem is in the location your TELUS technician installed it. If it has been moved, put it back in its original location.
- Check your modem is set up correctly and looks like this:
1) Power 2) WAN port 3) LAN ports
Pro tip: Ensure your ethernet cable is capable of handling speeds as fast as your TELUS plan. Category 5e or 6 Ethernet cables are ideal for all plans. You should be able to find the spec of your cable printed on the side - "CAT 5" or "CAT 6".
- For testing and troubleshooting purposes, ensure you are connected directly to the TELUS modem.
- Most browsers allow you to clear cache and cookies within the browser history settings. This will help delete some older files that may be slowing down your browser.
- Ensure other devices are not using up large amounts of bandwidth. Examples include devices backing up to the cloud and downloading software updates.
- Reboot your computer.
- Restart your modem.
| Note: Restarting or resetting your modem may only provide a temporary fix to your problem, if you find the issue reoccurs contact us in order for us to find and fix the root cause of your problem. |
If possible, perform a second wired speed test using a different device. This should then determine if the issue is related to the one device or an issue across all devices. If you find that you consistently require faster speeds, consider upgrading your plan.
If you wish to learn more about internet speeds please visit the following articles.
Optimize your Wi-Fi
Internet speed explained
Other factors impacting your wired internet speed