Before we get started, you should conduct a speed test.
If you are experiencing speeds much slower than your speed plan, we suggest trying the following troubleshooting steps.
If you are receiving speeds in-line with your plan but find that you consistently require faster speeds or additional bandwidth, consider upgrading your plan or if you find that you require a more consistent Wi-Fi connection, consider getting a TELUS Boost Wi-Fi.
Troubleshooting TELUS Wi-Fi problems
- Make sure your modem is in the original location your TELUS technician installed it. If it has been moved, put it back in its original location
- Check your modem is set up correctly and looks like this:
1) Power 2) WAN port 3) LAN ports
- If you're operating older devices using legacy Wi-Fi technology, consider disconnecting these devices when not in use or upgrading these devices
Pro tip: Wi-Fi speeds may be slower on older devices, such as early generation smartphones, tablets and iPads. They may also be impacting the performance of your whole Wi-Fi network, slowing down other devices in your home. To learn how to optimize your devices, visit our device performance page.
- Ensure you're within close proximity to your modem with no obstructions. If you're only experiencing slow speeds in certain areas of your home located farther away from your modem, TELUS Boost Wi-Fi provides additional coverage
Learn more about Boost Wi-Fi.
- Turn off inactive Wi-Fi devices
Pro tip: Where possible, use a wired connection for any stationary devices such as desktop computers, printers, gaming consoles and TV media boxes.
- Restart your modem. This will allow your modem to rescan the area and find the best settings for your home
- Reboot your devices
- Ensure radio devices are located away from your modem as these interfere with the Wi-Fi signal. Examples of such devices include baby monitors, wireless speakers, microwave ovens and cordless telephones
- If possible, try the speed test over a wired connection to determine if the issue is related to the internet entering the home or if it's a specific Wi-Fi issue:
- If testing the speed using a wired connection and you have speeds significantly slower than your plan, give us a call
- Restarting your modem along with the above troubleshooting may only provide a temporary fix to your TELUS Wi-Fi speed problem. If the issue reoccurs, contact us so that we can find and fix the root cause of your problem