Checklist for activations and renewals
Everything you need to know about activating or renewing your mobility connection
Adding a line or getting a new phone
If you're thinking of adding a line or getting a new phone, here’s what you need to know -
- Valid photo ID: You'll need 1 valid government issued photo identification (eg. Driver’s License, Provincial ID card, passport).
Note: Stores are unable to accept health cards (excluding Quebec and British Columbia) or citizenship cards.
Customers also require 1 acceptable valid ID for credit check (eg. credit card or social insurance number either verbally, paper copy or card).
Note: To purchase a phone you have to be the account owner or an authorized user on the account.
- Phone back-up: Make sure to back up your phone before going to a store. This will ensure you don’t lose any data, such as contacts, photos, and videos
Note: Transferring data in store is an option but can lead to a long wait depending on how much data needs to be transferred.
- Passwords: Make sure you have all of your passwords (email, Apple ID)
- Find a store near you
- Pre-browse your options: Activate or upgrade a new phone and find the best cell phone plans for yourself and your family
- Trade-in device (if applicable): Make sure you turn off the activation lock (e.g Find my iPhone) prior to coming to the store. You will not be able to trade-in your device if it is not turned off. View TELUS Trade-in Program for more details
- Ready to get started? Book a one-on-one session with a certified rep at the nearest TELUS store
What you need to know to set up your new device
- Get to know your new phone: All you need to do to start is to choose your device type
- Transfer your number: Once you receive your device, please follow these steps to request a transfer through My TELUS:
Note: Please have your device with your old SIM card in hand and keep your number active with your previous service provider until you complete the transfer.
a. Do not discard your old SIM. Have your old SIM card in a phone that is powered on nearby as it will be required to verify your transfer request from your previous service provider.
b. Log in to My TELUS or register at telus.com/MyTelus
c. Go to Plans & Devices and select the number you want to change
d. Select Manage your phone number
e. Select Transfer your number
f. Submit all required details, including the number you want to transfer
g. You will receive a text message on the old SIM card from your previous service provider within a few minutes. You must respond to the text message to confirm the transfer within 90 minutes
- Set up email: Learn how to set up email on your mobile device
- Set up voicemail: Find instructions on how to set up mobile voicemail
- Swap SIM: Find instructions on how to replace your phone or swap your SIM card
- Set up My TELUS: Download the My TELUS app to check your data usage, add top-ups and pay your bill on the go
- Having trouble? If your phone has no service, data or your messaging isn’t working, turn your phone off and on before calling us