High speed - installation (Windows XP)
Use the following steps to set up and configure Windows XP to access the Internet using TELUS High Speed.
Before you begin
You will require the following items to complete this installation:
- Your username and password, which you selected or received when you ordered TELUS High Speed.
- Your TELUS High Speed Internet Kit. Ensure it has been installed according to the instructions in the box.
Step 1: Run the Install Wizard CD
Insert the Install Wizard CD that came with your High Speed Internet Kit and follow the prompts to automatically install and configure TELUS High Speed on your computer.
If you don't have the CD, proceed to Step 2.
Step 2: Open the Control Panel
- Click the Start menu.
- Click Control Panel.
- If you're using Category View, click Network and Internet Connections then click Network Connections (Note: If you're using Classic View, click Network Connections from the list)
Step 3: Create a new connection
- From the Network Connections window, click Create a New Connection from the upper left corner of the screen. Click Next.
- Choose Connect to the Internet. Click Next.
Figure 1 - Choose Internet
Choose Set up my connection manually. Click Next.
Figure 2 - Choose Manually
Choose Connect using a broadband connection that is always on. Click Next.
Figure 3 - Choose Broadband, Always on
Click Finish. This will return you to the Network Connections window.
Figure 4 - Finish
- Close the Network Connections window. If a dialog box appears requesting that you restart the computer, select Yes.
Step 4: Connect microfilters
- If you are not using the TELUS High Speed Internet Kit, continue to Step 4.
- If you are using a TELUS High Speed Internet Kit, you will need to connect microfilters to the telephone devices in your home in order for your high speed to function properly. Learn how to connect your microfilters.
Step 5: Register your MAC Address
- NOTE: If you are using an older Cisco or Netspeed modem, please skip this step.
- After connecting to TELUS High Speed for the first time, you will need to register your computer with OCA in order to access our network. Learn how to register your computer with OCA.
- Once you have registered your MAC address, release and renew your IP address to activate your Internet connection. Learn how to release and renew your IP address.
You are now configured to use your high speed modem to connect to the Internet using Windows XP.
Try using PC HealthCheck to automatically repair your high speed and home networking problems.