Canada Direct® Avoiding Fraud
When traveling you may occasionally run into a hotel operator who subscribes to a service that re-routes Canada Direct® calls to an alternative operator. This means that instead of paying Canadian rates, you could end up paying as much as two, three, even seven times the Canadian rate.
Your first clue is that the automated Canada Direct® system is not available. A fraudulent operator will probably say there is a problem with your Calling Card and then ask for a credit card number. Do not give any credit card information.
If you experience any problems while abroad, we would appreciate knowing about them upon your return. Call TELUS at 1-888-308-2222 and choose the Canada Direct® option. The more detail you can provide to us, the better we can identify the issues and work to correct them as well as advising other customers prior to traveling.
As in other aspects of foreign travel, care and common sense will help you avoid most major problems. Here are some simple steps you can take to protect yourself from fraud:
- Never give out your credit card number.
- Listen attentively to operator-assisted calls. An automated attendant should answer calls:
a. by saying either "Welcome to TELUS or Bienvenue au Canada"
b. by offering to connect collect calls to Canada
- Make sure you recognize the tone of the automated voice as the same one that guides you through voice mail.
- Ask the operator where s/he is located. Canada Direct® operators are only in Canada.
- Ask what company the operator works for - it should be TELUS.
- Ask the front desk exactly how much surcharges are. Most hotels charge at least $1 to make the connection, but once the call is placed it is charged at TELUS rates.
- Be careful when using your voice for responses particularly when you are asked for your Calling Card and PIN number. To avoid unauthorized use of your calling card, ensure no one overhears this information.
*Trademark of Tata Communications LTD. used under license by TELUS Communications Inc.
Contact us for further support.