TELUS Relay Service (TRS) enables clients who are deaf, hard of hearing or experience difficulty with speech – and who use a Teletypewriter (TTY) – to communicate with regular telephone users. TELUS Relay Service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
There is no charge for using the TELUS Relay Service to place local calls. Long Distance calls are billed at a reduced rate.
Calls placed through the TELUS Relay Service are also entirely confidential. TELUS Relay agents are professionally trained and follow a strict code of ethics. No record of conversation content is retained.
Numbers to call
- 1-800-855-0511 (Voice to TTY).
- 711 (TTY to Voice).
- 1-800-855-1155 (TTY to TTY).
For Operator Assistance in billing your long distance call to another TTY.
How TRS works for TTY users
A person who is deaf, hard of hearing or speech disabled uses a TTY to type his or her conversation to a TELUS Relay agent, who then reads the typed conversation to the other party. The TELUS Relay agent then types the other party’s spoken words back to the TTY user.
- First dial 711. The TELUS Relay agent will answer saying TELUS RELAY SERVICE, (agent’s name) SPEAKING, followed by GA (for go ahead).
- Type in the area code and number you would like to call, and then type GA.
(note: although you aren’t required to give the agent your name or the name of the person you are trying to reach, doing so helps the agent connect to the person you are calling).
- The TELUS Relay agent will dial the number and will let you know how the connection is progressing e.g. (ringing 1...2...3...), inform you when someone answers, and then give the person’s gender in brackets (e.g. (f) female, (m) male).
Tips for TTY users
- Give TRS your name and the name of the person you are calling. This makes it easier for us to initiate your call.
- Give TRS the call recipient’s area code, even when it is a local call.
- When calling a business with multiple departments, tell the TELUS Relay agent which department you wish to reach at the beginning of the call.
- You may leave messages on answering machines or voice mail systems through TRS. When you leave a message, leave the TRS voice to deaf number (1-800-855-0511) as part of your message, along with your area code and phone number.
How TRS works for voice users
Standard Telephone users and TELUS wireless users can easily initiate calls to TTY users using the TELUS Relay Service. A TELUS Relay agent will type your spoken words to the TTY user and read back their replies.
- First, dial 1-800-855-0511. The TELUS Relay agent will answer saying TELUS RELAY SERVICE, (agent's name) SPEAKING, followed by GA (for go ahead).
- Provide the TELUS Relay agent the area code and number you would like to call.
(note: although you aren't required to give the agent your name or the name of the person you are trying to reach, doing so helps the agent connect to the person you are calling).
- The TELUS Relay agent will dial the number and keep you informed, as you will not be able to hear the line ring.
- The TELUS Relay agent will tell you when the TTY has answered and read what is typed, followed by GO AHEAD. GO AHEAD is your cue to begin speaking. Always finish by saying GO AHEAD so the TTY user will know it is their turn to respond.
Tips for Voice users
- Remember to speak directly to the TTY user, not to the TELUS Relay agent.
- Speak a bit more slowly than usual as the TELUS Relay agent is typing in word for word what you are saying.
- Spell names.
- Always say GO AHEAD when you are finished.
- Always wait for the TELUS Relay agent to say GO AHEAD before speaking.
- Let the TELUS Relay agent know at the beginning of the call if you are familiar with the service.